PDA

View Full Version : stuck lug nuts - driving on a flat?

NickDawson
08-04-2009, 06:29 PM
If its not one thing its another... someone remind me that this is what I signed up for? Please omit the part where you told me that the English definition of "in good shape" is different than ours...

Got a flat, it was low last night while fixing the carb, but now its totally gone.

The lug nuts won't budge, I'm still rehabbing my blown knee, but I'm no slouch either...those puppies aren't moving. They are also somewhat stripped out. I let some WD-40 soak in for a while and got one lose, but the rest are beyond me.

If I drive it 3 city blocks to the service station on a flat, is that going to ruin my wheel? I've been considering some 235x85 BFG A/T (or equivalent - based on suggestions that I've yet to solicit) ... After the transfer case and carb, I hate to buy my way out of this challenge, but I could chalk it up to two birds with one stone.

Anyway, I'd hesitate to drive even that short distance on the alloy wheels on my BMW, but these things look pretty strong. They are the stock 16(.5?) wheels.

On a related note, I've learned that a hi-lift jack is entirely impractical for lifting the back tires... from the side and you ruin the sills, from the back and you have to chock the front wheels

I Leak Oil
08-04-2009, 06:40 PM
Why not just fill the tire with air and drive it down? Don't drive on the flat unless you want to replace the tire also.

NickDawson
08-04-2009, 06:43 PM
Why not just fill the tire with air and drive it down? Don't drive on the flat unless you want to replace the tire also.
No compressor, but I do have a hand pump - good idea.

I'm not opposed to replacing them now, was going to do it soon anyway
The treads are ok but they are a bit cracked - dry rot?

VTRover
08-04-2009, 07:26 PM
Use a can of fix-a-flat or slime and you should be good to go. Three blocks I would not worry about driving it if that's your only choice. Check your insurance and see if you have free towing....... yada, yada. I'm sure you will figure it out.

NickDawson
08-04-2009, 07:31 PM
all very good points - I do have towing...

thanks gang

thixon
08-04-2009, 08:40 PM
Nick,

Use another car to go to Home Depot/Lowes/Menards/Ace/whatever is near you. Buy yourself an electric impact wrench.

The lug nuts will come right off, and you'll be needing a tool like that sooner or later anyway. I use my electric more than I use my air impact.

I'm not going to lecture on using impact sockets with it. Its your choice. Some people do, some don't. Do you like to live dangerously?

Good luck, and don't worry, they have to come off sooner or later.:D

One last piece of advice. When you get frustrated with it, step away and rest. Its supposed to fun, not a hassle.

TJR
08-04-2009, 08:41 PM
On a related note, I've learned that a hi-lift jack is entirely impractical for lifting the back tires... from the side and you ruin the sills, from the back and you have to chock the front wheels

IMHO.. A Hi-Lift jack is a great tool with dozens or uses, but not the one I would ever choose to use for changing tires unless it was a complete emergency.

A floor or bottle jack (even on a board ) under the axle backed up w/ jack stands is MUCH more stable and therefore MUCH safer. With a high lift you have to unload the suspension & tire sidewall compression to lift a tire which causes a higher raised load

Hi-lifts have their place, but can be easily knock over with the high load point (high center gravity) and narrow footprint, so tugging on tires or lug nuts could make it shift out of position. :eek:

Obvioulsy you should loosen the lugs nuts while the tire is firmly on the ground.

..Talbot

Tim Smith
08-05-2009, 08:02 AM
You could try putting a standard car jack under the tire iron to add torque to the lug nut and then with your third had, take a hammer and wrap on the lug nut end of the tire iron to try and break it free. Kind of a poor mans impact wrench.

NickDawson
08-05-2009, 08:29 AM
Thanks guys

I'm torn between beating this problem on my own and just biting the bullet and buying the tires I was going to buy in a few weeks anyway.

Of course, I'm also due for a new compressor and an air impact wrench does sound fun...

If I go the new tire route (and thus make the lugs someone elses problem) - 238x85xr16 seems to be the prevailing thought..I think thats about a 32...sound right?

4flattires
08-05-2009, 08:39 AM
....have we forgotten the time-honored tradition of a cheater bar? Even a 5th grader weighing 65lbs can tug on a 6 foot chunk-o-pipe and bust some nuts. :thumb-up:

Jeff

bmohan55
08-05-2009, 08:40 AM
I recently got 235-85-16 mud tires and they look quite right, and perform well on & off road. Also switching from bias ply to radials made a HUGE difference the ride!

https://www.tiresavings.com/tireShop.php?action=findMan2&manufacturer=Federal&tirename=Couragia+Mud+Terrain&season=Regular

NickDawson
08-05-2009, 08:45 AM
shopping the tires now - thanks bmohan55

My III has parabolics (the english equivilent, not sure how robust they really are) - can I get away with a 33" Like a 255x85xr16?

bmohan55
08-05-2009, 09:16 AM
You may have to adjust your steering stops...if they are not stuck! I had to adjust mine when I went from 15" to 16", one broke off so I have some rubbing on hard left hand turns until I address that problem. But I like the narrow looking tire better for the Series, JMHO. A wider tire would also decrease your turning radius...and remember you have no power steering!

ScottT
08-05-2009, 09:28 AM
Exactly what i was going to say. I have a 6 ft piece of pipe in the shed for that purpose alone. When my air impact wouldn't budge the lugs a breaker bar and pipe made easy work of it.

....have we forgotten the time-honored tradition of a cheater bar? Even a 5th grader weighing 65lbs can tug on a 6 foot chunk-o-pipe and bust some nuts. :thumb-up:

Jeff

NickDawson
08-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Exactly what i was going to say. I have a 6 ft piece of pipe in the shed for that purpose alone. When my air impact wouldn't budge the lugs a breaker bar and pipe made easy work of it.

I actually tried that - the nuts are borderline stripped so the wrench slips off more often than not. Once I get them off, I think its time to replace 'em

Eric W S
08-05-2009, 10:55 AM
The nuts may well be cold welded or rusted together. Heat the lug nuts and see if that breaks them loose. Simple hand held propane torch might do the trick.

If that doesn't work, drive to a local shop and have them remove the all of your lug nuts (all four wheels) and press new wheel studs in at all four corners. Problem solved.

Otherwise you run the risk of buying axle parts on top of wheel studs and lug nuts. And get in the habit of breaking your lugnuts loose quarterly and you'll always be able to loosen them in the future...

Jim-ME
08-05-2009, 10:59 AM
I use never seize whenever I rotate my tires. That seems to do the trick.
Jim

Tim Smith
08-05-2009, 12:09 PM
I use never seize whenever I rotate my tires. That seems to do the trick.
Jim
Yes. Great stuff. Be sure to wipe off the excess and to not use the impact gun when tightening the lugs, first time around or else you will get that stuff everywhere.

Don't ask me how I know. :o

thixon
08-05-2009, 12:57 PM
And get in the habit of breaking your lugnuts loose quarterly and you'll always be able to loosen them in the future...

Eric,

Do you actually do this on a quarterly basis? Just curious.

Eric W S
08-05-2009, 01:23 PM
Eric,

Do you actually do this on a quarterly basis? Just curious.

I do.

The first year I had my old defender, I had a flat on New year's day, 1am. It was -17 out and even a 6 foot breaker bar didn't bust it. The tow was $200.

Several years later I was leading a group and a guy flatted. One of his lug nuts was frozen solid and we broke a cheap breaker bar and used a can of PB getting it free. Trailside in mud in 100 degree heat and 90 percent humidity and in the middle of a mosquito & black fly investation.

It's now part of the pre-wheeling ritual. Check fluids, remove tires to check brakes/lines & springs, blah, blah, blah. So I at least know that trialside I can break a lug nut free even without my Power Tank and impact wrench and that I made sure the breaker bar and flat gear was in the truck already.

The last flat I had was not even a hassle. I think I spent maybe 20 minutes changing it. Didn't even need or have my impact wrench.

bmohan55
08-05-2009, 02:55 PM
I hope to have lugnuts broken more than quarterly!

Eric W S
08-05-2009, 03:14 PM
yeah, it'd be cool to wheel twice amonth every month...

EwS

4flattires
08-05-2009, 09:00 PM
Before using lubricants or anti-seize on the lug nuts, please come to your own conclusion after a brief but thorough browse on a search engine of your choice. I think you will be suprised the comments and conclusions made by forum posters and wannabe rocket scientists alike.

I'll leave it at that and not fuel the debate.

Jeff

adkrover
08-05-2009, 10:18 PM
Once Nick has loose nuts that will all be fine but right now his nuts are a little too tight.

First try the heat with a cheater bar. After that, buy a good chisel and a Dremel tool. I hate Dremel's and don't own one but they are perfect for this. Using a metal cutting blade on a Dremel, cut the lug nut as deep as you can (without cutting the lug) on opposite sides. Then, using a good cold chisel, insert the chisel into the cut slot and seperate the two halves of the nut and the lug nuts will fall right off. Then, you can use a die or wire brush to clean up the threads or replace the lugs.

Otherwise, if you drive slowly to the shop, the tire will shred but the wheel will be fine. Drive On!

NickDawson
08-06-2009, 07:44 AM
Once Nick has loose nuts that will all be fine but right now his nuts are a little too tight.

:eek:

Quick update - in a fit I decided to just pull the trigger on new shoes and make the tight nuts someone elses problem. Pumped it up with a bike pump, drove to service station and filled it to 40 psi, drove to tire shop and let them have at it.

Running some new 235x85xr16 BFG A/Ts they look considerably better than the 205xr16s that were on there... now I'm dieing to get out on the trail. Gotta find someplace near Richmond this weekend.

I'm back to my engine problem...but thats another thread.

Thanks for all the tips folks. I've never had tight nuts before, it seems very uncharacteristic of me. I'm guessing thats b/c on my cars we tend to rotate the tires once a year or so. I'm going to try and break the rovers nuts every once in a while and hope that will keep them from seizing - should it become a problem I'll consider some lube on them.

Leslie
08-06-2009, 07:59 AM
....have we forgotten the time-honored tradition of a cheater bar? Even a 5th grader weighing 65lbs can tug on a 6 foot chunk-o-pipe and bust some nuts.

LOL! I'm not a little guy, on the Disco I used to have, the shop had put them on tight and I neglected to check them until much later... I put a cheater on the lug wrench, ended up spiraling the wrench's handle, never budged the nuts.....

:eek:

Quick update - in a fit I decided to just pull the trigger on new shoes and make the tight nuts someone elses problem. Pumped it up with a bike pump, drove to service station and filled it to 40 psi, drove to tire shop and let them have at it.

Running some new 235x85xr16 BFG A/Ts they look considerably better than the 205xr16s that were on there... now I'm dieing to get out on the trail. Gotta find someplace near Richmond this weekend.

I'm back to my engine problem...but thats another thread.

Thanks for all the tips folks. I've never had tight nuts before, it seems very uncharacteristic of me. I'm guessing thats b/c on my cars we tend to rotate the tires once a year or so. I'm going to try and break the rovers nuts every once in a while and hope that will keep them from seizing - should it become a problem I'll consider some lube on them.

Congrats!