PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Have an Extra Crank I Can Buy From Them?

Bostonian1976
02-05-2007, 11:11 AM
....for the gray Rover? I'd like to try to turn the engine over this weekend but have no crank :(

jp-
02-05-2007, 11:36 AM
Crank implies crankshaft. I think you mean the crank handle, or starting handle.

Oh, and if it won't turn over with the starter, there is no way it is going to turn over with the starting handle.

Bostonian1976
02-05-2007, 11:58 AM
Crank implies crankshaft. I think you mean the crank handle, or starting handle.

Oh, and if it won't turn over with the starter, there is no way it is going to turn over with the starting handle.

yes, that's exactly what I mean...sorry.

I thought odds were better trying to use a starting crank after letting the Marvel sit?

jp-
02-05-2007, 01:16 PM
You can use the starter. I'd make sure that the oil in the crankcase is fresh, that the plugs are out, and the coil is disconnected.

Bostonian1976
02-05-2007, 01:20 PM
starter won't do it....I tried it two weeks ago. well......that was before letting the marvel sit. everyone else said to use the crank, get it unstuck, then crank it a few times to get some oil pressure to the valves?

Jeff Aronson
02-06-2007, 05:26 PM
They're not that expensive. I bought a new one for my second II-A from Rovers North.

Once, when my Rover would not start on the starter, I yanked on the crank to start it. Instead, the crank snapped in my hand. They don't really give that much leverage. You might want to try a breaker bar and socket on the starter dog or the crank pulley, instead.

Marvel Mystery Oil or even diesel fuel down the cylinders should help to free the pistons. If you can get it to turn, put in fresh oil before you actually try and get it to run on the ignition.

Good luck,

Jeff

yorker
02-07-2007, 08:50 AM
Order one from RN today and you'd have it by the weekend. You may need wrench or socket to try to move a really stuck engine.