PDA

View Full Version : Series safety

LRMAN
08-05-2009, 09:25 AM
I have searched the archives for a couple of items but would like some current info as well. I am considering buying a Series IIa and want it to be as safe as it can possibly be(within reason). I understand it will never be the same as a current model vehicle.

- Fuel tank: They seem very exposed. I remember upgrading the fuel tank on my racing spitfire years ago with a poly tank with a mesh insert to prevent explosions.

- Roll bar and proper seat belts/head rests. Something to help protect in a slow speed rollover and also a place to mount up high 3 point belts and head rests to prevent whiplash

- Side impact: Do sliders help at all in a t-bone situation?

Any ideas on the above items? Suppliers of fuel tanks, roll bars, etc.

NickDawson
08-05-2009, 10:01 AM
also curious about roll bars and seat belts - not high on my list right now, but I am very aware that in a roll over situation it would be game over. Will be curious to see what kind of responses you get.

Eric W S
08-05-2009, 10:34 AM
I have searched the archives for a couple of items but would like some current info as well. I am considering buying a Series IIa and want it to be as safe as it can possibly be(within reason). I understand it will never be the same as a current model vehicle.

- Fuel tank: They seem very exposed. I remember upgrading the fuel tank on my racing spitfire years ago with a poly tank with a mesh insert to prevent explosions.

- Roll bar and proper seat belts/head rests. Something to help protect in a slow speed rollover and also a place to mount up high 3 point belts and head rests to prevent whiplash

- Side impact: Do sliders help at all in a t-bone situation?

Any ideas on the above items? Suppliers of fuel tanks, roll bars, etc.

Any fabricator can make you a roll bar with attachment points for belts.

Any high back seat can be made to fit with fabrication.

Sliders may or may not help in a side impact. It depends on what is impacting you and at what speed. I'd buy sliders if you are going to use them off road, not for side impact protection.

Our hosts have sliders, seats and shoulder belts. Ike Goss at Pangolin4x4 makes some of the tastiest series stuff on the planet, including sliders.

greenmeanie
08-05-2009, 10:34 AM
If you do a search there was a long thread a year or so ago about safety of these trucks. It's a good discussion. With any mod it all depends on the quality of the design and installation.

A hardtop provides more protection than a soft top and arguably doesn't need a hoop for daily driver use. It is a good safety upgrade on a soft top where the hoops have no structural strength.

You can swap in high back seats from a number of modern vehicles with only a little ingenuity. I tend to use new Bestop Jeep seats but that means that any CJ/Wrangler seat will fit.

Inertia belts are an easy upgrade although adding a shoulder mounting to a soft top takes more thought. At this point a role hoop helps a lot.

I don't think I've heard of anyone carbecuing from a ruptured fuel tank on one of these. As they are under the front seats on an 88 you will have greater things to worry about if the crash is severe enough to crush the tank. The bottom of the tank is double skinned as a skid plate which is adequate for most use. If you want additional armour Ike at pangolin sells an extra thick piece for the underside.

Bostonian1976
08-05-2009, 12:58 PM
I accidentally slammed into a Jersey barrier in mine (from a standstill - just the perfect height not to be seen!). Moved the Jersey barrier. Slightly dented the bumper :)

They're beasts but obviously there are a lot of sharp objects to hit should you get into a rollover situation. There's a thread somewhere of a guy that rolled his with a hardtop (someone hit him from behind on the side) and he made out fairly okay.

Make sure you get one with dual circuit brakes or do the modification yourself

TedW
08-05-2009, 01:26 PM
I am considering buying a Series IIa and want it to be as safe as it can possibly be(within reason).

Tim: I don't know your religious persuasion, but IMHO Magnetic Mary is the one thing that will approach inerta-reel seat belts in terms of safety enhancement. Well, you need to use a sheet-metal screw if she's going atop the birmabright trim on the dash.

Or you can always try a medal of St. Christopher (patron saint of safe travel). You can hang it from your mirror, right next to your Garfield the Cat air freshener.

Aside from the above, I suggest you keep your eyes WIDE open for the other guy.

Ted

galen216
08-05-2009, 01:58 PM
Tim: I don't know your religious persuasion, but IMHO Magnetic Mary is the one thing that will approach inerta-reel seat belts in terms of safety enhancement. Well, you need to use a sheet-metal screw if she's going atop the birmabright trim on the dash.

Or you can always try a medal of St. Christopher (patron saint of safe travel). You can hang it from your mirror, right next to your Garfield the Cat air freshener.

Ted

I don't care if it rains or freezes
Long as I got my plastic Jesus
Riding on the dashboard of my car.

LRMAN
08-05-2009, 02:16 PM

Ted

Ted, your christian beliefs are insulting to me and therefore this entire site should be shutdown. I am on the phone with the ACLU right now.;)

LOL, I am usually praying for wind(sailor at heart) but I guess I will have to start praying for small soft vehicles to be driving my way.

I have looked at some of the long posts about safety. I was just looking for up to date opinions and products. I have fabricated roll cages before but that was many years ago and most of my fabrication skills go towards restoring my boat. Not a huge need for a welder. I used to use a large stick welder and I was pretty good at it. Many frames reinforced and repaired.

I did notice some info about how the LRs don't have crumple zones and therefore are much more dangerous in a crash. I guess it should not be too bad based on the fact that 99.9 percent of all vehicles on the road do and will absorb some of your impact. LR on LR crash is another story.

After spending many years on a racetrack I continue to be a very defensive driver and am always on the lookout for the other guy. Although I also believe that HP can just as easily get you out of trouble as it can get you in. We used to joke about the formula Vs(an open wheel racer with a Vdub engine). Fast enough to get you into trouble and not fast enough to get you out.

bmohan55
08-05-2009, 02:51 PM
"I did notice some info about how the LRs don't have crumple zones and therefore are much more dangerous in a crash. I guess it should not be too bad based on the fact that 99.9 percent of all vehicles on the road do and will absorb some of your impact. LR on LR crash is another story."

Good thing about a LR to LR crash is that neither would be going too fast!
...and you could recover each other!

Bostonian1976
08-05-2009, 03:02 PM
"I did notice some info about how the LRs don't have crumple zones and therefore are much more dangerous in a crash. I guess it should not be too bad based on the fact that 99.9 percent of all vehicles on the road do and will absorb some of your impact. LR on LR crash is another story."

Good thing about a LR to LR crash is that neither would be going too fast!
...and you could recover each other!

hey - we did 60-65 up at the non-event in NH last year.....what a rush

wooday
08-05-2009, 04:57 PM
I have Exmoor Extreme high back seats and RRC inertia seat belts mounted to a locally fabbed roll bar on my truck. I guess it feels safer. The original seat belts just popped open with a bump in the road... I'd agree with others who joke about the top speeds of these rigs, its more like keep an eye out for the other guy.

I have burly Bottorf Fab sliders (90lbs each) on my RRC and this thread makes me wonder how I'd fare if t-boned in an accident vs in a RRC w/out them. Could sliders provide greater protection in that type of accident? I hadn't thought of sliders as side-auto-collision protection before.

swingkeel
08-06-2009, 07:52 PM
I can go a hundred miles an hour
Long as I got the almighty power
Ridin on the dashboard of my car.

frans
08-07-2009, 10:50 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG9tuuznL1Y

Rineheitzgabot
08-07-2009, 11:47 AM
Ted, your christian beliefs are insulting to me and therefore this entire site should be shutdown. I am on the phone with the ACLU right now.;)

LOL, I am usually praying for wind(sailor at heart) but I guess I will have to start praying for small soft vehicles to be driving my way.

I have looked at some of the long posts about safety. I was just looking for up to date opinions and products. I have fabricated roll cages before but that was many years ago and most of my fabrication skills go towards restoring my boat. Not a huge need for a welder. I used to use a large stick welder and I was pretty good at it. Many frames reinforced and repaired.

I did notice some info about how the LRs don't have crumple zones and therefore are much more dangerous in a crash. I guess it should not be too bad based on the fact that 99.9 percent of all vehicles on the road do and will absorb some of your impact. LR on LR crash is another story.

After spending many years on a racetrack I continue to be a very defensive driver and am always on the lookout for the other guy. Although I also believe that HP can just as easily get you out of trouble as it can get you in. We used to joke about the formula Vs(an open wheel racer with a Vdub engine). Fast enough to get you into trouble and not fast enough to get you out.

Funny stuff. I think there may be a cat-lick in the house. :)

JSBriggs
08-07-2009, 01:47 PM
comes in colors pink and pleasant,
glows in the dark cause its iridescent,
take it with you when you travel far.

-Jeff

wooday
08-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Okay you guys are starting to creep my out singing to each other about Jesus. I'm calling foul on the song in this thread. Nothing against Jesus on your dashboard and its a nice tune, but not here.

Rineheitzgabot
08-07-2009, 03:15 PM
Nope. We've gone this far, we might as well continue on to:

When I'm in a traffic jam
He don't care if I say "damn"
I can let all my curses roll
Plastic Jesus doesn't hear
'Cause he has a plastic ear
The man who invented plastic saved my soul