PDA

View Full Version : Stage 1 V8 Ignition switch

rwollschlager
08-05-2009, 01:12 PM
I apologize for the long windedness in advance...

On one of the Land Rover driver instruction videos just before the credits the narrotor said something along the lines of "a broken land rover is not only a moral defeat but also bad publicitiy for the company"
I just want to say it doesnt get much worse than succumbing to electrical problems in the woods and ultimatley coming home on the end of a strap with a J**p on the pulling side.

The Symptoms:
When I turn the key to turn the engine over, it has spark and fuel and burbles to life and then when I release the key into the "idle" position the engine dies.

The jeep pulled me to a friends house so I could come back and work on the truck and drive it home. The down side is after much inspection in the steering column and behind the instrument cluster there were no melted or shredded wires that obviously signified a problem. I ended up by passing the ignition switch by running a wire straight from the battery to the fuel pump, and another wire straight from the battery to the coil, and removing all other positive leads to the coil, (when I left the other wires on the coil with the new hot wire, the system would intermittenly come back to life and shoot 24v through a 12v coil.... not good).

ALL of this being said I'm pretty sure my problem is the ignition switch. However I have no idea how to remove it. The switch is not the barrel type fitted to other series vehicles. Every hole in the body of the switch that looks like where a screw might be fitted to hold it in place is actually a pin of some sort.

So my final question is how do I remove this switch from the steering column and where do I find a new one. No doubt our hosts has one but is it going to be a early range rover or a defender switch I'll need to order?

rwollschlager
08-05-2009, 01:13 PM
Heres a pic of the day the switch crapped out

Firemanshort
08-05-2009, 10:01 PM
behind the barrel tumbler is a switch. My Stage 1 switch went bad almost the same. It is a fairly easy replacement. The part is about $35 and is the same a regular Series III.