PDA

View Full Version : land rover names registry

thixon
08-06-2009, 03:23 PM
Rineheitzgabot was right.

There is actually a land rover names registry. I now feel that I have reached the end of the internet. There is no more for me to see.

http://www.landrovernames.com/

Don't all rush at once..."the antichrist" is already taken fellas.

Bertha
08-06-2009, 04:20 PM
I am speechless but not surprised. Strange that when you click on the link under each name, it is the owners email address. You can email each person and tell them how truly ridiculous they are.

Eric W S
08-06-2009, 05:49 PM
I don't get the whole naming your truck thing.

navydevildoc
08-06-2009, 06:03 PM
I call my series "The Hopecrusher", but it's more a joke between all of my friends. Just when I get hopeful that I have fixed the latest problem and might actually be able to drive her, something else blows up/breaks/burns/releases the magic smoke. Rovers North has been getting a lot of my money of late.

The only other real name I have for any of the cars/motorcycles is that the voice in the LR3 for the Navi and voice control. He has been nicknamed "Nigel" because he just sounds like a stuck up brit who would be called that.

SafeAirOne
08-06-2009, 06:15 PM
Careful, everyone--I recognize a few rovers from this board in there!

If calling your rover a name (usually during difficult maintenance or while broken down on the side of the road) counts, I've named my rover SEVERAL times. Nothing that can be posted on a family-oriented website, though. ;)

TeriAnn
08-06-2009, 08:34 PM

When I had two Land Rovers it helped people know if I was referring to the red rover or the green rover. Somehow the name stuck after the red rover went away and I was left with just The Green Rover.

Blueboy
08-07-2009, 07:46 AM
I don't get the whole naming your truck thing

for some odd reason we only named the 109 - Blueboy; as it is blue and my wife feels it is a "boy" due to how it looks.

the 2 Rangies and the D90 didn't have names although when the rear wheel came off the Rangie going 55 and we were able to stop before going over a cliff, we were tempted to give the name Lucky.

I now check the wheel nuts after any service requiring wheel removal.

Jaime

LRMAN
08-07-2009, 07:54 AM
Sorry guys but I have always thought of this as more of a girl thing. I have known and still know lots of women who name their vehicles. My wife believes that names belong on boats not cars.

SeriesShorty
08-07-2009, 07:56 AM
While naming your truck may be corny, I still think it's quite fun. And as TeriAnn says, in the case of owning multiple Rovers is convenient to identify them by name. "Hey let's take the Rover tonight"...only to find your sig other sitting in the wrong truck waiting for you.

Good news is that Sir Alfred (my Series) and Crazy Cooter the Dysfunctional Dyscovery (my DI) are both unlisted as of yet. Hmmmmm, I have too much free time on my hands at work...

Rineheitzgabot
08-07-2009, 08:18 AM
I'm with Teriann.

I reference them by color so my kids know which one to pile into when I tell them to get in the car; i.e., "The Green One", and "The Silver One".

I don't think I'll be going to a website to register them, however. Just like I will never wear matching articles of clothing with my wife, like matching sports jersey's, etc. Too cutesy.

Eric W S
08-07-2009, 08:45 AM
Refering to a truck by it's attributes, such as color, isn't "naming" them. Technically your describing them.

So names are an excuse for laziness? How hard is it to say "We're taking the series? or the Discovery? or the Rangie?

NelsAnderson
08-07-2009, 08:46 AM

Well, I think it just means that to many people their Land Rover is more to them than just a means of transportation.

SeriesShorty
08-07-2009, 09:48 AM
So names are an excuse for laziness? How hard is it to say "We're taking the series? or the Discovery? or the Rangie?

Yep, that's it, you caught me, I'm lazy.

Eric W S
08-07-2009, 10:43 AM
Yep, that's it, you caught me, I'm lazy.

Eccentric and non-descriptive would be more accurate.

Rineheitzgabot
08-07-2009, 11:08 AM
Refering to a truck by it's attributes, such as color, isn't "naming" them. Technically your describing them.

Eric,

Thanks for the clarification on this matter. I feel like such a jacka$$ now. Here's me thinking that I was actually naming my vehicles, when actually I was only describing them. Can you believe it?

In the future I will try to improve the quality of my posts. My apologies to anyone this may have offended.

-Gary

Rineheitzgabot
08-07-2009, 11:13 AM

As I read further, I am confused. Eric is now criticizing SeriesShorty for not being descriptive in his naming (in addition to calling him "Eccentric").

I must ask this question, as a philosopher may ask: At what point is describing your vehicle, different than naming it?

Please be detailed in your response, because I really want to understand.

SeriesShorty
08-07-2009, 11:17 AM

Phew, I like it! I'll take being called eccentric and non-descriptive any day over unimaginative or critical. :p

greenmeanie
08-07-2009, 11:34 AM
I must ask this question, as a philosopher may ask: At what point is describing your vehicle, different than naming it?

Please be detailed in your response, because I really want to understand.

Google is your friend. Spend some time on almost any grammar forum looking up nouns vs adjectives. Its been too long since I took English at school for me to describe anything meaningful in this respect.

Rineheitzgabot
08-07-2009, 11:40 AM
Google is your friend. Spend some time on almost any grammar forum looking up nouns vs adjectives. Its been too long since I took English at school for me to describe anything meaningful in this respect.

Ahh. Thanks Greenie.

However, it is the philosophical aspect to this that I am interested in. Not the technical aspect, involving grammatical rules, etc.

Thanks for your help though.

thixon
08-07-2009, 12:39 PM
Geez,

I was just surprised that someone actually made a site dedicated to registering the name of your rover.

My 8 year old son, and 5 year old daughter call mine "the falcon." Like "Milenium Falcon."

When I brought it home it was in pieces. Because it came with a new galvy frame, new suspension, and a ton of other new parts I felt good about the purchase (my excellent negotiating skills did'nt hurt either.) When my wife saw it she groaned (as she had about 30 times before). All I could think of to say was "it doesnt look like much, but its got it where it counts." My 8 year old heard this and its been "the falcon" ever since.

LaneRover
08-07-2009, 12:48 PM
Geez,

I was just surprised that someone actually made a site dedicated to registering the name of your rover.

My 8 year old son, and 5 year old daughter call mine "the falcon." Like "Milenium Falcon."

When I brought it home it was in pieces. Because it came with a new galvy frame, new suspension, and a ton of other new parts I felt good about the purchase (my excellent negotiating skills did'nt hurt either.) When my wife saw it she groaned (as she had about 30 times before). All I could think of to say was "it doesnt look like much, but its got it where it counts." My 8 year old heard this and its been "the falcon" ever since.

Not "The Aluminum Falcon"?

bmohan55
08-07-2009, 12:51 PM
I named mine after my wife...she still doesn't like it!

Especially when I cuss at at.

Philosophically speaking I guess they have alot in common, tempermental, high maintenance, relativly unique, good looking, forgiving and makes me smile.

thixon
08-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Not "The Aluminum Falcon"?

I like it....we may have to go with that....

Leslie
08-07-2009, 01:06 PM
I refer to my SIII as 'Trouble' (kinda like referring to a bar near campus that's called the Library....). (I'm gonna get into Trouble, always in Trouble, etc., not to mention all the Trouble it causes.....). But, in practice, it's just called the Rover....

The SII, its name came w/, and will always be.....

Rineheitzgabot
08-07-2009, 02:54 PM
Geez,

Dude, I love the Han Solo reference, and your 8 year old picking up on that is cool. I have a 7 year old at home that is constantly quoting Star Wars.

Since I seem to be among other Star Wars people, I will admit that I have called my DII, the "non-protocol droid". This is because the "protocol droid" is C3PO, and we know his counterpart, who is NOT a protocol droid, is called R2D2, and my DII is a 2002, making it, "'O2D2." I know, corny.

navydevildoc
08-07-2009, 03:29 PM
I like it....we may have to go with that....

It's even better once you see where it came from....

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a25c392132b05a201132b098c6d0008

:D

Rineheitzgabot
08-07-2009, 03:49 PM
I forgot about that. I knew I had heard that somewhere before.

Incidentally, Thix, that's where I got the term "Jack-hole" from.

LaneRover
08-07-2009, 06:10 PM
It's even better once you see where it came from....

http://www.adultswim.com/video/?episodeID=8a25c392132b05a201132b098c6d0008

:D

Funny! I hadn't seen that yet!

TeriAnn
08-07-2009, 10:48 PM

Sure it is if you want it to be. I decided that I wanted it to be.

Throughout history people have named children by attributes that they would like the kids to have. That's why there are so many baby name books that explain meanings of names. They hope their child's name will describe them.

So names are an excuse for laziness?

http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LR.images/GRLazybugger98.JPEG
Yep

How hard is it to say "We're taking the series? or the Discovery? or the Rangie?

I can say I'm taking the Dormobile or I'm taking the TR3, but that's about it. When I had two Rovers they were both Series.

Actually I think it is endearing to name Land Rovers. It helps make them even more personable. I'll just say I think its a cute idea and let it go at that.

zayante
08-08-2009, 11:59 AM
Dude, I love the Han Solo reference, and your 8 year old picking up on that is cool. I have a 7 year old at home that is constantly quoting Star Wars.Sometimes it's dangerous to let the kids pick a name. When I was a kid, our '57 Ford Country Sedan got tagged with the name "Hippity-Hop" because my little brother once described the feeling he got sitting back in the third row seat going over potholes and dips. In a rare ironic moment, my parents named our other car, a '50 Plymouth sedan, Benzedrine.

LaneRover
08-08-2009, 12:03 PM
I think that it is an unwritten rule that you really can't think about it too much. If you have to think about it, it isn't a good name. It just has to happen.

Brent