PDA

View Full Version : Crazy Story of a '64 Truck Cab

ccec
08-08-2009, 12:54 AM
Hello All,

Check this out:

In 1986, when I was about to move to San Diego from the Central Coast of Cali to go to graduate school, I bought a 1964 88" truck cab model from a friend of mine (why -- I really don't know... I pretty much treated it as a parts vehicle).

My friend had purchased it used from a farmer in North Carolina in 1968 -- and drove it across the country to California.

I made my first trip south (300 miles) from where I was living, in my 1967 109 Rover, along with the two Vespa's I had and the 1966 VW bug I owned as well (the 80's were so consumptive!). When I came back a week later, the 1964 SWB truck cab was gone -- stolen !!!

After many years (21 or so) of searching and aggravation later (police reports, serial numbers, etc.), it turned up about 20 miles from my home town, having been passed down through about three owners (???) and ended up in the hands of the SAME PERSON THAT GOT ME INTO ROVERS IN THE FIRST PLACE !!! The same guy that practically FORCED me into buying my first 1967 88" Safari cab when we were just sophmores in college !!!

Pictures of the vehicle can be found at his threads...

Search for posts by the member who calls himself "80inch" and you'll find some hilarious pics of what the rig looks like at this moment. Damn... What a journey that rig has had.

So now I finally have "closure" to an event that rattled me over all those years !!!

Now If I can just get my memory seat switches to work...

--ccec

rwollschlager
08-08-2009, 08:27 AM
haha well congrats on the reunion!
were you referring to the truck in this post?
http://roversnorth.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5653

ccec
08-10-2009, 12:31 AM
Yes,

I was referring to this post. The "new" owner and I are about 30 miles apart, as the crow flies...

--ccec