PDA

View Full Version : Brake Question

amcordo
08-09-2009, 07:19 PM
OK,

Noob question:
1. How do I tell if my brakes are already dual, and
2. why is that more desirable than single?

Thanks!

LaneRover
08-09-2009, 07:54 PM
If there is a big brake booster in between the top of the brake pedal tower and the brake master cylinder then you have dual brakes.

dual is better because if you blow a seal or get any sort of leak with a single line system you automatically lose all of your brakes. With a dual system you lose some braking power but do not lose ALL of your brakes.

Brent

SafeAirOne
08-09-2009, 08:30 PM
If there is a big brake booster in between the top of the brake pedal tower and the brake master cylinder then you have dual brakes.

Not necessarily. I have power-assisted brakes with a single circuit master cylinder on my 109.

A better way would be to count the number of brake lines (metal tubes going toward the brakes) coming out of your master cylinder. If there is one line, you have a single-circuit master cylinder. If there are 2 lines...well, you can figure out what that means...

LaneRover
08-09-2009, 08:33 PM
Not necessarily. I have power-assisted brakes with a single circuit master cylinder on my 109.

A better way would be to count the number of brake lines (metal tubes going toward the brakes) coming out of your master cylinder. If there is one line, you have a single-circuit master cylinder. If there are 2 lines...well, you can figure out what that means...

Rovers are kind of like the English language - no rules that apply every single time!