PDA

View Full Version : Window Gear Spot Welds Broke?!

Rineheitzgabot
08-10-2009, 07:29 AM
Has anyone ever had the spot welds fail on the arched, gear that meshes with the motor to actuate the scissor lift on the window?

My driver-side window will not go up, so I took the door panel off yesterday. I could hear and see the motor operate, but no go on the window. I finally pushed the window back up while operating th motor, and the window went back up, but when it "bottomed out" I heard a clank, and this arched gear piece, came falling out. Upon further investigation, it appears that the spot welds broke, and it came out of alignment with the gear on the motor (then of course, it fell off eventually).

Any suggestions?

TSR53
08-10-2009, 09:40 AM
New left hand front Discovery II window regulators.
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/Product/medium/RNH541.jpg
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/c-781-window-regulators-motors.aspx

Rineheitzgabot
08-10-2009, 10:13 AM
Thompson,

Is there any literature on how to perform this replacement, that you know of, off the top of your head?

Thanks,
Gary

TSR53
08-10-2009, 10:59 AM
If you've already removed the door panel then...

- Remove the protective moisture barrier, be careful it can rip easily.
- Before you remove the window assembly, tape the window in the UP position
- Take out your digital camera and shoot photos of the assembly installed, helpful later when re-installing
- Installation is reverse of removal
- Take your time, it's a labor intensive job
- Check the window motor for brush life and use some contact cleaner on it if required
- Waxoyl the inside of the door with the windows UP and use 120-4 clear.
- Reinstall the door panel

I might have missed one or two steps, but usually this process works for most vehicles. I just had to do both front door panels on my Westfalia while on vacation as the auto door locks stopped working. Grrrr.

I'm checking with the LR RAVE manual and will see if it is of any more help.

Rineheitzgabot
08-10-2009, 01:00 PM
Thompson,

Sold!

Your help is very much appreciated.

-Gary