PDA

View Full Version : Rover Junkyard on Rte 9 in NH

Bostonian1976
02-06-2007, 07:44 AM
I passed this place in 2005 and was amazed to find a whole yard of old Rovers. I think it has since been gone through and sorted out. Does anyone have more details on the place and whether it's still around?

Leslie
02-06-2007, 08:07 AM
Isn't that the place that's been on Ebay a few times now?

Bostonian1976
02-06-2007, 08:32 AM
for 100k, yeah.

yorker
02-06-2007, 08:46 AM
http://www.fourfold.org/bens/cheshire/

it has been pillaged

Bostonian1976
02-06-2007, 09:01 AM
wow..that's too bad. I picked up a good tailgate from this guy for 100 bucks when it was pretty much untouched. They're all gone now? What was the story behind the yard?

Thanks for the photos btw...any more?

yorker
02-06-2007, 09:21 AM
Ben Smith,Cristina Calado and others went through it, I doubt they left anything worth taking. What is left is on ebay now or going to get crushed. It is what is left of Cheshire Motors dealership IIRC.

rivalresources
02-06-2007, 12:43 PM
I first entered the Land Rover community in 1990, by purchasing a remanufactured Land Rover from Richard Boisvert of Cheshire Foreign Auto Service on Route 9 in Marlborough, NH. I haven't stopped by in ten years or so. Does anyone know what has happened to Richard Boisvert?

Bostonian1976
02-06-2007, 12:59 PM
I first entered the Land Rover community in 1990, by purchasing a remanufactured Land Rover from Richard Boisvert of Cheshire Foreign Auto Service on Route 9 in Marlborough, NH. I haven't stopped by in ten years or so. Does anyone know what has happened to Richard Boisvert?

I met him not two years ago when I picked up the tailgate from him....so he was fine then. I'll bet this seller on ebay is him...

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/moamazing

jp-
02-06-2007, 01:20 PM
I hope they went to good homes. There are definitely some there that I would save, but I am ever an optimist. I like that little Series I. I think my next Rover will be a Series I or a Forward Control. Decisions...

yorker
02-06-2007, 01:37 PM
go with a 101fc, they are awesome.

Jeff Aronson
02-06-2007, 04:57 PM
I entered Land Rover ownership in 1990, also. I had work assignments between Maine and Vermont. Several trips took me past Cheshire Motors, with its original MG and Land Rover signs, on Rte. 9 in Marlborough, NH. From the front seat of a 1978 Triumph Spitfire, the Land Rovers looked very inviting.

One day I stopped to inquire about purchasing one. On the front lot sat a weatherbeaten Series II-A SW. I entered the shop and met Richard Boisvert and a very large Russian wolfhound. I toured the construction shop, saw an 88" being coverted to a custom "shooting brake," and left with a handsome color brochure on refurbished, restored or custom Land Rovers. I was ready to ditch the much beloved Spitfire right there.

On a subsequent trip I stopped to ask to test drive the Series II-A. It was explained to me that the unprepped cars on the lot were on consignment and in uncertain condition. The brakes might not work on the II-A and did I know how to drive a non-synchro transmission? Yes, I knew how to pump dodgy brakes and double-clutch. A dead battery meant that we had to jump start it and then Richard drove it down the road. Despite the moldy interior and faded paint, I was in heaven. It took some stubborness on my part to garner a test drive, even of a short difference. With 60,000 + indicated miles, it still seemed like a great buy.

Two days later, I called and made an offer for the car. Richard said he would pass it along. When I didn't hear back from him, I stopped a couple of weeks later to look at the car. Now it did not have a safari top but a conventional hardtop. He had swapped them out because tropical tops fetch a good price. So what's the new price of the Rover now, I asked? "The same," he replied, with a few comments about how he does do much with these "owners cars" because of his custom business.

I was disappointed and annoyed at first, but two car searches later, I found the QE I in a field in Lebanon, ME. I've had the same car ever since!

Jeff

TJR
02-08-2007, 09:27 PM
I'll add my experience regarding Cheshire Auto and Richard B. (or is it Henry?) anyway..I stumbled across his shop several years back as a result of the RN BB. I had recently moved to southern Maine and planned to use my SIII as a plow truck for a short while. I was on the hunt for plow frame and Richard said he had one. I arranged to look at one that was said to be "ALL There". It may have been but I was so badly rusted I choose to skip on it. It had practically sunk back into the earth that it had been sitting on for years. Anyway, we had a good chat and I eneded up purchasing a very nice 88" hoop set and a military tailgate in VG shape. The actual Rag top was pretty shot. A few years went by and I was again hunting for a dished deluxe bonnet. I arranged another trip to his shop and aquired a very nice Dlx bonnet for a resoable price. Again the chat was very interesting and after looking around the yard of parts it was obvious he had been collecting parts for a long time. However, The memories of that last trip was in the form of posion Ivy or Sumac. I was covered ! I guess all the crawling around and between the various LR relics subjected me to one of my most hated summer plants..! I had to get the 5 day treatment.. Ugh! :mad:
Anyhow. My limited dealings were positive, The stories he told were quite interesting and somewhat hard to believe,maybe exaggerated a bit, but none the less he was very easy to deal with. Is a shame to know its gone, but it seems like its in the hands of some real LR nuts!..good score!
..Talbot , Southern Maine
1973 Ser III 88" (rebuild project)

Bruce Fowler
02-08-2007, 09:43 PM
Quick update.

From a conversation I had this summer with liquidation company.

Cheshire Auto was owned by three people.
Dick (Richard Boisvert) was the front person
most everyone knew.

Bout two years ago (I think) one of the partners died in a plane
crash.
Dick died last year.
Remaining partner and heirs could not come to agreement over who should be paid what. Liquidation company was brought in by probate court so as to settle the estates.

Employee of Liquidation company is buying building and plans on opening a used car lot.

Bruce F.

Bostonian1976
02-08-2007, 09:56 PM
wow, that's too bad. I just met him.......I guess winter of 2005/2006! (Dick)
He was a nice guy.

Is the yard entirely gone now?

yorker
02-09-2007, 05:27 AM
Is the yard entirely gone now?

No, bits were just sold on ebay this week- if you want anything you'd better go and see what is left.:eek:

junkyddog11
02-09-2007, 05:48 AM
Talbot,

not to change the subject to much...

but if you are still looking for a plow frame etc. we have several in the "junk yard"

rivalresources
02-10-2007, 01:36 PM
I thank you all for replying to my original question about the demise of Cheshire Foreign Auto Service in NH. As I had mentioned, I became a Land Rover owner in 1990. I responded to an advertisement that Richard Boisvert had placed in Woodenboat Magazine. It was probably the only time he had ever placed the ad in an unrelated publication. Well, I had him fully remanufacture a 2-door 109 and I have had it ever since. When I was first there in 1990, he had a beautiful Lotus Super 7 under cover in the shop, and when I was last there about 10-13 years ago, he had a nice Vanden Plas Princess Limosine in there. By that time, he was not doing much restoration work, and was already getting involved with selling online. He was one of the first I know who was seeing the value of selling online. I believe his work was respectable also. There were many things about his restoration that I had made better over the years, but I always appreciated the fact that he never once told me how good he was, and then supply me with junk afterwards. I am sorry that I didn't visit more often and saddened to hear of his passing.

TJR
02-11-2007, 11:18 PM
Hey Matt, Thanks for the heads up on the LR plow parts, No immediate need for them right now. The '69 Bronco has been filling the plow truck role quite well for the last few years, plus the rover is pretty much in bits! I'll catch up w/ you later.. Talbot.