PDA

View Full Version : Rear door (Trunk) is stuck!

kh500
08-10-2009, 09:35 AM
The rear door (truck) is stuck as locked. I can't open it!
Door notch was pressed as you open the door.
Any idea?
Opening up from inside door panel would be the only access to rear door mechanism.

Ilya
08-12-2009, 06:32 PM
I had the same problem. I heard it is common issue. My solution was, to have mechanic fix it.

Wallace
08-12-2009, 07:46 PM
Easy fix - pry out the green oval on the rear door and spray some WD40 into the lock mechanism.

"Take it to a mechanic" ??? Come on guys - even my mother (81 years old) just fixed her DII rear door without any help!! She didn't have to take it to a mechanic.

Check out the detailed Tech Tip, with photos, in the April 2009 issue of the Gearbox, the newsletter of ROAV (Rover Owners Association of Virginia).
http://roav.org/roav_gearbox.html

kh500
08-13-2009, 08:57 AM
THANK U THANK U THANK U.

This is wonderful site too!
http://roav.org/

kh500
08-13-2009, 10:36 AM
I have been to the dealer twice - to pick up a brand new DII in 2000
and to taste a gourmet coffee in safari themed waiting room for a test drive event a couple of years ago.

A mechanic? What's that??? ;)

Ilya
08-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Sometimes that the only solution. I spend 3 weekends trying to remove tires so I can replace brakes. Finally I give up and asked my friend who is a mechanic for help. We spend all day working at his shop. I simply don't have equipment as he does. That is the same for anything. Anyone can fix the simple computer problem but when big issue comes they call us, system admins. Reason the same, no deep knowledge, experience and tools.:D

kh500
08-21-2009, 03:36 PM
Sure, Of course, We, a weekend DIYer, don't look for experience mechanics in first place as more of attitude wise as well as sky-high cost wise.

Obviously, there is a certain limit as DIYer with lack of knowledge, tools, resources and experience. Also disciplinary safty rules are not easy to be obeyed rigorously in a level of organazed facility.

I do respect passionate knowledgable mechanics as a profession. I know a guy who works at the independance shop many years locally. He caliberates his treasured torque wrench twice a year - winter and summer - due to temperature changes.

flavegreen
08-29-2009, 11:03 AM
I had this one too. Make sure the handle has released compleatly. I used a plastic pry tool to push the handle back to it's resting position. I then lubed it up and it works fine now.

phantomracer
09-03-2009, 09:00 AM
Went through this for a while.

To get it open, you have to pry the handle all the way down (I used a screwdriver to pry it down), then it will open.

The only long term solution is to replace the outside latch handle (the thing you pried). The pivots just get rusted up. Lubing them will fix it for a while, but it will fail at the worst possible time.

I think the latch handle part is something like $35. Just replace it, lube the pivots to extend the life of the part.

It is a super easy project. Just buy the latch handle and about a dozen of the red panel clips (you will break a lot). Under $50 and you will be set for another decade or 2!

Colorado Rover
09-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Had same problem. I was also able to remove the inside handle cover and pull on transfer bar to unlatch. Ultimately the problem was that he door lock itself was so grimy and worn from the grit that it had to be replaced. Not wanting to do this again I noticed the back cargo door does not have any rubber olding onit to rpevent dirt etc from entering. THe only molding appears to be a t top, but hte debris enters from the sides and the bottom. To solve the problem I installed 3m molding that has the raised circular molding profile (what you would typoically find on a door seal) on the backside of the door skin and then installed a flat rubber molding (1/2" wide by 1/8" thick) next to (on the door body and not the skin) and tucked under the 3m to give it support on the cargo door body so it was held up when closed and created a seal agasint the car body. Now when the door is closed the seal keeps the grime out. No more problems.

vansdonk
10-01-2009, 05:23 PM
I have the same problem, but only if I "Super Lock" the doors. You know, pressing the lock on flob 2 times. But I have 3 kiddos and it's their job to climb over the seat. I need to attach a string to the inside handle and rear headrest for easier opening. :D Mine did that after I have custom speakers put in the back door. Then the install guys didn't know how to fix it and I didn't know how to take the speaker stuff off. Also, my 3rd tail light doesn't work anymore after that. Hope other drivers are watch out for me. If not they are going to eat a receiver and steel plate bumper.