PDA

View Full Version : Another Defender Gizmo - "Return to center" steering damper...

VTRover
08-13-2009, 07:22 AM
Any opinions on this?

http://www.4wd1.com/Images/ebay/tddamper.jpg

http://www.4wd1.com/Images/defender%20110%20300.jpg

[/CENTER]
_DESCRIPTIONLandrover vehicles can benefit from the amazing 4Way Return-to-Centre steering damper.
Designed especially for those vehicles with over-size tyres, and vehicles more 'agricultural' in the steering feel, or for those that just want a better drive-feel, the 4Way damper provides superb road-handling characteristics and eliminates steering shimmy and driver fatigue.
Wrapped in tough steel springs that work on the "Return-to-Centre" principle.
When compressed, the spring pushes back to the neutral position. When extended, the spring pulls back to the neutral position.
Applications are vehicle-specific, including power steer and non-power steering models. Virtually eliminates steering wheel kick and "fight-back".
This unique product really does make a big difference!
Warranty:

2 years/ 40,000km.
Main benefits:
Effective damper, yet a 'steering-assist' device also.

msggunny
08-13-2009, 11:39 AM
I didnt know that regular steering dampers didnt return to center...

My D1 and D2 have no problems, however i had to take the steering damper off of my SIII because it wouldnt return to center. Didnt notice any difference other than she wanted to keep turning.

Terrys
08-18-2009, 06:48 AM
Most steering dampers not only don't return to center, they don't exert any force in either direction. They simply restrict the free movement in both directions by forcing the oil to pass through a small orifice in the piston.
Some people mistakinly think a standard shock will work as a damper, and then can't understand why the car wants to go left ( or right) but not straight. Best one I saw was a Nitrocharger on a CJ

VTRover
08-18-2009, 05:02 PM
Well, do you think it would be an interesting gizmo to put on the car?

This seems to be gizmo month for me. I just put on a Britpart "Ram Air" wing scoop on the Defender (after doing a bit of Dremel surgery to open it up more fully). I'll report back if it sends a bit more air through the system.

08-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Coil Land Rovers don't have a lot of "self center" degree built into the front axle. I can't see where it would hurt anything as long as it clears the rest of your axle and truck. I have seen gas charged dampers push the steering to the right just a little, seems to depend on the rest of the resistance in the system.
Regards
Gord'n Perrott
Lamorna Garage
Seattle

seaswood
08-24-2009, 08:34 AM
I did ask someone whom has owned 90 longer than I have whom said;
makes it really hard to turn.
just a regular OME will be fine

For what it is worth.:D

Coil Land Rovers don't have a lot of "self center" degree built into the front axle. I can't see where it would hurt anything as long as it clears the rest of your axle and truck. I have seen gas charged dampers push the steering to the right just a little, seems to depend on the rest of the resistance in the system.
Regards
Gord'n Perrott
Lamorna Garage
Seattle[/QUOTE]