PDA

View Full Version : Tick on start up

griswald
08-17-2009, 08:32 AM
Ok,
New noise. Only does this when sitting over night or for several days.
Starts right up, and then I hear a very clear, and very rythmic tick,tick,tick...once oil pressure gets up, tick goes away. Usually ticking lasts about 2 to 5 seconds.

Does not do this when warm (i.e. running errands, etc.)

Any ideas appreciated.

Best,
Griswald

pisten-bully
08-17-2009, 10:12 AM
Maybe your valve seals are getting old so that after sitting around for a while any oil puddling in the head has leaked past the valve stems, then when you build oil pressure again there's fresh oil to lubricate the head again and the ticking goes away. You might confirm this if you have a little blue smoke upon startup. That's my guess!

amcordo
08-17-2009, 10:15 AM
Mine does this as well, but it's coming from the clutch (i.e. it goes away when you depress the clutch pedal, and comes back when you let it go)...

Maybe your valve seals are getting old so that after sitting around for a while any oil puddling in the head has leaked past the valve stems, then when you build oil pressure again there's fresh oil to lubricate the head again and the ticking goes away. You might confirm this if you have a little blue smoke upon startup. That's my guess!

Tim Smith
08-18-2009, 09:03 AM
I'm betting it will be the valve train ticking before the oil gets up to the head. You can confirm this by taking the valve cover off and starting it up. You will hear the ticking until the oil starts coming out of the rocker assembly.

It's also kind of a neat show to see the valves all doing their thing. Just don't rev the motor with the valve cover off. :eek:

Tim Smith
08-18-2009, 09:05 AM
Mine does this as well, but it's coming from the clutch (i.e. it goes away when you depress the clutch pedal, and comes back when you let it go)...
This one I'm betting is a throw out bearing. You may get lucky and have it last you till the clutch goes but you better plan ahead for a quick clutch job any way.

amcordo
08-18-2009, 11:51 AM
Hi Tim, thanks. What sort of work am I looking at difficulty wise? I'm trying to figure out how much time I need to alot to fix this.

Thanks!

This one I'm betting is a throw out bearing. You may get lucky and have it last you till the clutch goes but you better plan ahead for a quick clutch job any way.

jac04
08-18-2009, 12:05 PM
^^ If the noise goes away when you depress the clutch pedal, why do you think it's the throwout bearing? Remember, the throwout bearing only spins when the clutch pedal is depressed. A bad throwout bearing normally has the opposite symptoms - it makes noise when you depress the clutch pedal.
However, the input shaft to the transmission stops turning when you depress the clutch pedal. I'm thinking your noise is transmission related. When was the last time you checked the fluid level?

amcordo
08-18-2009, 12:12 PM
This is better news - I KNOW that the third geer needs replaced - it's pretty clear to me that it has a stripped tooth or two because it makes some serious clicking noises and you can feel it skipping. Could it be related to this?

Keep in mind that the noise I'm talking about originally is there when you turn the car over and have it in neutral, dissappears when you depress the clutch and put it into any gear, but returns when you let the clutch go (in gear or back into neutral).

^^ If the noise goes away when you depress the clutch pedal, why do you think it's the throwout bearing? Remember, the throwout bearing only spins when the clutch pedal is depressed. A bad throwout bearing normally has the opposite symptoms - it makes noise when you depress the clutch pedal.
However, the input shaft to the transmission stops turning when you depress the clutch pedal. I'm thinking your noise is transmission related. When was the last time you checked the fluid level?

LRMAN
08-18-2009, 12:23 PM
When you depress the clutch you are putting pressure on your thrust bearings. I do not yet know the configuration of the thrust bearings in this engine so I will defer to someone who does. But this could be engine related.

Tim Smith
08-18-2009, 12:45 PM
Doh! Good point. I was thinking the other way around. Yup, I'd guess the transmission in this case. Maybe a bearing on the input shaft?

amcordo
08-18-2009, 12:46 PM
The noise sounds more like it's coming from the transmission/clutch/etc area, rathen than the engine.

When you depress the clutch you are putting pressure on your thrust bearings. I do not yet know the configuration of the thrust bearings in this engine so I will defer to someone who does. But this could be engine related.