PDA

View Full Version : Vehicle Registration Plate Question

crankin
08-18-2009, 10:30 PM
I have checked on my '72 SWB (left hand drive) and found out that it was manufactured for direct export to Canada...where it spent some of his life...then down to the States.

It had the Vehicle Registration Plate on the tub, I checked the numbers on the plate and they are the correct “scheme” for the age identifier. But the question I have is: before a vehicle was exported did it receive a registration plate or did someone do their homework and get the plates right?

Also, I am sure that I have stumbled across a link where you can get the correct reproduction for registration plates done, does anyone have a link?

leafsprung
08-18-2009, 11:00 PM
what is a registration plate?

greenmeanie
08-19-2009, 12:15 AM
what is a registration plate?

To a brit what we call a registration plate you call a license plate.

crankin
08-19-2009, 09:50 AM
Yep...Like greenmeanie said...it's the license plate.

leafsprung
08-19-2009, 10:02 AM
you probably run around saying petrol and spanner to impress your friends. I know that accent is an affectation :D I think that you can get the british plates here:

http://www.licenseplates.tv/cat/plates_for_british_b_48.html

there are probably some other places as well.

crankin
08-19-2009, 10:34 PM
Does anyone know if before a vehicle was exported it received a registration plate?

Andrew IIA
08-20-2009, 07:15 AM
I believe that direct export vehicles would not have received a 'home market' reg/lic. plate. Sounds like the PO found one or had one made based its age & Vin. #.

Regards, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88" SW