PDA

View Full Version : Elephant Hide seats

enovey
08-19-2009, 01:23 PM
Can someone give me a real world estimate on a complete set of original "elephant hide" style seats for an 88? This would include the rear jump seat frames and cushions. Consider all items to be used but no rip or tears.
This may be an odd question, but I am wondering what people are paying for this stuff.

Linus Tremaine
08-19-2009, 04:17 PM
There is only one place to get true original material for your vehicle. Charles Kellogg has it at the great north west land rover company or whatever he calls it.

It is some original stock that he purchased, when its gone its gone. Its VERY expensive and its old, so if you use it, it is weak from age and can tear a little bit more easily than it was when new.

Call him for a quote.

Suggest using a modern alternative. BP carries a similar material that you can get for you vehicle.

Jim-ME
08-19-2009, 04:27 PM
Badger Coach Works also carries something close. My guess if you are trying to sell them is 150 or so. Ike may have a better idea.
Jim

Dino
08-19-2009, 04:38 PM
RN Exmoor Trim.... $469

Mike Koch
08-19-2009, 04:39 PM
While not N.O.S. Land Rover Genuine, we offer Exmoor:
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/Product/medium/EX6629.JPG (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-16142-front-seat-set-series-elephant-hide-vinyl.aspx)

rovertek
08-19-2009, 04:52 PM
i have oem folding jump seats.....

lrdukdog
08-19-2009, 04:53 PM
You want ELEPHANT HIDE seats. They destroyed the pattern rollers for these a long time ago. Go with the above mentioned companies. But whatever you do don't let on to anyone you don't know that you have ELEPHANT HIDE seats! You never know who is a spy for PETA or HSUS or another AR group of zealots and just plain nuts or what they would do to your Rover.:eek:
Jim Wolf

Bertha
08-19-2009, 10:22 PM
Badger Coach Works also carries something close. My guess if you are trying to sell them is 150 or so. Ike may have a better idea.
Jim

Badger carries grey vinyl which isnt even close, however he doesn't claim it to be either.

Bertha
08-19-2009, 10:26 PM
While not N.O.S. Land Rover Genuine, we offer Exmoor:
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/Product/medium/EX6629.JPG (http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-16142-front-seat-set-series-elephant-hide-vinyl.aspx)

Very good choice and pretty darn close. Cant beat it for the money. It is close enough that I have the 3 seats from our hosts (I would rather stick a needle in my eye than deal direct with exmoor ever again)and am running with my original elephant hide door panels. Exmoor has come a long way since that crappy silver gray stuff they used to sell years back, that they tried to pass off as elephant hide.

enovey
08-20-2009, 06:05 AM
I guess I wasnt clear enough. I am not looking for the material or the seats. I already have a complete set, including folding jump seats that are in used, but really good condition.
I was wondering what a complete set in "good" condition is worth? good meaning no rips or tears.
Jim-ME answered my question, does anyone else have any opinions?
Thanks

Bertha
08-20-2009, 06:44 AM
I guess I wasnt clear enough. I am not looking for the material or the seats. I already have a complete set, including folding jump seats that are in used, but really good condition.
I was wondering what a complete set in "good" condition is worth? good meaning no rips or tears.
Jim-ME answered my question, does anyone else have any opinions?
Thanks

All depends on what someone is willing to pay. Put it on Ebay and find out. My guess is somewher between 500-1k, provided they are really nice, not ripped and all the same color(ie: not faded different shades of elephant hide) truthfully they are only good for a show truck. Under regular use, the material will wear out quickly, becuase it is pretty thin and old, as stated by someone in one of the previous posts.

Terrys
08-20-2009, 07:03 AM
Ernie, If you consider what people have been paying for banjo steering wheels, I would think you could get way more than $150. Take them to Metal Dash next month. I recall someone paying a grand for a complete set of 109 seats, but finding the rear seat of a 109 is scarce. If you decide to sell them seperately, I need one outer base cushion, as the '64 I'm doing is a complete, with only one torn up cushion.

Bertha
08-20-2009, 12:21 PM
Ernie, If you consider what people have been paying for banjo steering wheels, I would think you could get way more than $150. Take them to Metal Dash next month. I recall someone paying a grand for a complete set of 109 seats, but finding the rear seat of a 109 is scarce. If you decide to sell them seperately, I need one outer base cushion, as the '64 I'm doing is a complete, with only one torn up cushion.

Terry
I am sure I have a decent one in my pile. If interested make me an offer and let me know when you want to stop by and pick it up.