PDA

View Full Version : who's done it

badvibes
08-20-2009, 07:48 PM
The PO of my truck removed the emergency brake. Everything, drum, linkages etc. I've assembled what I think is everything needed to re-install an e-brake set up. Except for miscellaneous nuts and bolts that I will round up as I go. Anything I need to know about doing this, any special tips or pitfalls? Or is it as easy as the bolt in job it looks like it is? I can make any 2 hour job an all day thing so any pearls of wisdom are appreciated.

Jeff

Cosmic88
08-20-2009, 11:09 PM
It is a fairly simple and straightforward operation so long as you have all the proper parts for the linkage, expander, adjustment cam and propshaft fasteners. Nothing tricky about it...

pisten-bully
08-21-2009, 08:28 AM
As long as you've got all that stuff removed, consider replacing the output shaft seal and felt.

badvibes
08-21-2009, 12:43 PM
cosmic- Yeah it looks to be all there. I even have dupes of a couple of parts like the brake lever handle assembly.

pisten- I'll check into this.

Thanks!

ScottT
08-21-2009, 12:49 PM
I swapped out the drum for an X-Brake recently and it was very easy. Removing the stuck bolts between the rear diff and drive shaft was the hardest part.

I am curious why someone would remove the brake entirely.

The PO of my truck removed the emergency brake. Everything, drum, linkages etc. I've assembled what I think is everything needed to re-install an e-brake set up. Except for miscellaneous nuts and bolts that I will round up as I go. Anything I need to know about doing this, any special tips or pitfalls? Or is it as easy as the bolt in job it looks like it is? I can make any 2 hour job an all day thing so any pearls of wisdom are appreciated.

Jeff

badvibes
08-21-2009, 01:01 PM
I swapped out the drum for an X-Brake recently and it was very easy. Removing the stuck bolts between the rear diff and drive shaft was the hardest part.

I am curious why someone would remove the brake entirely.

ScottT-

No clue. I bought the truck in '99 from a guy I worked with years before. I had a Heep, still do, and he had the Series. Typical back and forth teasing went on. I even offered to buy it from him for $1000 at that time. Years go by. I run into him one day and say "When are you going to sell me that truck?" He replies "$500 and it's yours, I want it out of my driveway." So I bought it because it was pretty complete, rough but there. Guess he'd had an issue with the brake and rather than fix it he removed it.

ScottT
08-21-2009, 02:57 PM
That is interesting. Most issues with the brake are the oil leak, linkage or both. Removing it is just as much work as repairing.
I can't imagine parking on a hill w/o a tranny brake. . .

ScottT-

No clue. I bought the truck in '99 from a guy I worked with years before. I had a Heep, still do, and he had the Series. Typical back and forth teasing went on. I even offered to buy it from him for $1000 at that time. Years go by. I run into him one day and say "When are you going to sell me that truck?" He replies "$500 and it's yours, I want it out of my driveway." So I bought it because it was pretty complete, rough but there. Guess he'd had an issue with the brake and rather than fix it he removed it.

JimCT
08-21-2009, 03:55 PM
Doesn't someone make a disc brake parking brake conversion? Maybe they were going that direction

Broadstone
08-21-2009, 04:42 PM
I was considering swapping my handbrake for one in the Right hand drive position. It would make a little more room.

ScottT
08-21-2009, 10:14 PM
Doesn't someone make a disc brake parking brake conversion? Maybe they were going that direction

Yeap,

http://www.x-eng.co.uk/X-BrakeSeries.asp

That is what I went with.