PDA

View Full Version : Pitman Arm Puller Needed

Momo
08-22-2009, 11:05 PM
Does anyone have a puller they'd be willing to lend me so I can pull the bloody pitman arm off my steering box? I have an 88 project truck I'm working on, and I need that bulkhead off in the next month. It's getting new footwells and a dip in the zinc tank!! But the real hurry is... my wife wants to park in the garage before the rains come!!

I know Land Rover made a special tool for this, and there are plenty of pullers on the market. I rented one at the auto parts store and it broke. I would rather not buy one, since they are pretty expensive and it's unlikely I'll use it again anytime soon.

I will treat your tool with care and ship it back to you with a bottle of your favorite spirit or craft beer!

-Mo

Mud&Rox
08-23-2009, 07:14 AM
Just keep renting them from Auto zone or Advanced. when I got a pitman arm to pull I will seriously rent like 3 at a time. also heat it up real good before you put a puller on it. You can also go to Sears and but a Air pickle fork. for pretty cheap. they work well

Momo
08-23-2009, 01:52 PM
Thanks for the suggestion but someone out there has the proper tool and is willing to lend it, and I am done with rental junk.

weatherm
08-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Goto harbor freight... buy a $6 pitman arm puller.. goto the house and get a angle grinder start grinding the arms down (It won't fit to small) so just grind them down and then vwala!!! Special Tool 6000 :) $6 and your good to go! you just saved like 100 bucks :)

Trust me I've done this and it worked flawlessly

belenjack
08-24-2009, 03:45 PM
momo pm me your adress you can borrow mine no grinding necessary

Momo
08-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Bingo! PM sent, thanks belenjack