PDA

View Full Version : Kenlowe thermostat died

willincalgary
08-23-2009, 06:57 PM
Stopped turning on the fan despite high engine temperature. Had to bypass the thermostat so I could get home. Are these things serviceable? I suspect not but I haven't look at it closely.
Very annoying since it is only 2 years old.

NickDawson
08-24-2009, 07:53 AM
Stopped turning on the fan despite high engine temperature. Had to bypass the thermostat so I could get home. Are these things serviceable? I suspect not but I haven't look at it closely.
Very annoying since it is only 2 years old.

Interesting - in the same boat - the thermostat in the radiator is toast on mine too. I still have the mechanical fan in place though. I wired the electric fan to a switch on the dash (and through the ignition). Its a kludge but it works.

I'd be curious to know if you find a replacement.

TedW
08-24-2009, 09:39 AM
Interesting - in the same boat - the thermostat in the radiator is toast on mine too. I still have the mechanical fan in place though. I wired the electric fan to a switch on the dash (and through the ignition). Its a kludge but it works.

I'd be curious to know if you find a replacement.

Many auto parts stores carry the Imperial brand of aftermarket electric fans. Imperial offers an adjustable thermostat as an option. Same mounting principal as the Kenlowe. In fact, the Kenlowe seal you have should probably be re-used if you haven't had any leaks. The seal is probably better than the one you get from Imperial.

I used the Imperial thermostat for years with no problem - until my fastidious mechanic soldered a thermostat into the bottom of my radiator.