PDA

View Full Version : The Ultimate Tool Roll For Series Land Rovers

vermontrover
08-23-2009, 07:32 PM
Having been stuck roadside on more than a few occasions, thought it would be handy to build the ultimate on board tool kit. A kit catered to the precise workings and, perhaps, 'typical' problems of a Series 1, 2, or 3 Land Rover. Tools like duct tape, 1/4" hose clamps, workshop manual, matchbook (for points gap), needle-nose vise grips, 3' of 1/4" rubber fuel line, crescent wrench, starting fluid, multi-tool, zip ties, etc. The more specific the better. look forward to your ideas.

Mercedesrover
08-23-2009, 07:44 PM
look forward to your ideas.

Click with caution (http://www.seriestrek.com/tools.html).

jac04
08-23-2009, 08:08 PM
^^ That's funny. So, they carry enough tools to perform just about any job, but only a pint of brake fluid and a few quarts of oil?:confused:

SafeAirOne
08-23-2009, 08:13 PM
Click with caution (http://www.seriestrek.com/tools.html).

Couldn't help but notice the rather glaring absence of the slotted socket used in transmission overhaul. :D

jp-
08-23-2009, 09:22 PM
Damn Jim! I think you're hurtin your fuel mileage with all that extra weight... I've dropped three motors in the last few weeks using only 4 spanners, 1 crescent wrench, channel locks, snippers, 2 screwdrivers, and needle nose pliers. That said, I'd love to have you on the trail with me if I broke down!

Besides that, seeing the quality of the work you do, I can't see how you would break anything anyway.

Linus Tremaine
08-24-2009, 12:36 AM
Jim,
what are the four parts you carry wrapped up in plastic and tape? Looks like stub axle and drive flanges?

Just curious. I used to carry stub axle but I never needed it. Still carry drive flanges in case of locking hub failure. And just about everything else I saw on your list.... Thats why you need a 109 right?

Mercedesrover
08-24-2009, 05:33 AM
Besides that, I can't see how you would break anything anyway.

JP, we're driving Land Rovers!!

Mercedesrover
08-24-2009, 05:40 AM
Jim,
what are the four parts you carry wrapped up in plastic and tape? Looks like stub axle and drive flanges?

Just curious. I used to carry stub axle but I never needed it. Still carry drive flanges in case of locking hub failure. And just about everything else I saw on your list.... Thats why you need a 109 right?

Drive flange in case I blow a front hub
T-Case rear flange and bearing in case I blow the overdrive
Waterpump (Mercedes)
Stub axle for the rear as mine are bored 0.030" over for the 30-spline axles

KSMTAW
08-24-2009, 06:28 AM
Great pictures of your tool kit. I was smiling the whole time I was scrolling down. Thanks for sharing it.

vermontrover
08-24-2009, 08:15 AM
with that tool kit, I'll have to jettison the wife and kids. Here's a better idea:http://www.flickr.com/photos/31434732@N03/3852460982/

jb_
08-24-2009, 10:58 PM
This is a timely post for me. There I was making jokes in the "Break" thread about not wanting to wash the Series for fear of discovering what colour it really was underneath, when I decided it would be a nice day to take it for a spin (or a walk, since we never get out of low range on my property)... So out I went, lifted the dog up in and there we were, ready to go!

After a few cranks and several adjustments of the choke, the Series sprang into life.

Almost eager she was.

Into first. Is that first? I'm never sure. I really must look at those detent springs or what ever determines the "feel" of the gear shift. If there ever is a "feel" that is.

Hand brake off! Yeah, I said "brake", not "break". LOL.

Off we go. (letting out the clutch).

Oy, what happened to my clutch?

(look down and clutch pedal on the floor)

Come back clutch pedal!

(no response)

Oh.

Broken spring.

This is when I thought about what tools and bits and pieces I'd like to have in the Series for the next time I'm more than 4 metres away from the shed when it breaks. The Series, that is, not the shed!

What I needed was some wire to hook into the broken spring and some pliers.

Tim Smith
08-25-2009, 08:09 AM
I've had a recent bout with brake lines rusting out. With that in mind, I think Jim's kit could use a roll of brake line, a flaring kit and a couple of ends. Of course, I'm only thinking about it because of my recent car problems.

Otherwise it's perfect. :thumb-up:

Jim, do you also carry a drill for those bits?

Mercedesrover
08-25-2009, 10:33 AM
I've had a recent bout with brake lines rusting out. With that in mind, I think Jim's kit could use a roll of brake line, a flaring kit and a couple of ends. Of course, I'm only thinking about it because of my recent car problems.

Jim, do you also carry a drill for those bits?

That's a good point. I carry brake hoses but not line. Even though it's new it's still possible to have a problem with them. Note to self.....

And yes, I carry an 18V cordless, two batteries and a charger. (1000 watt inverter in the truck too.)