PDA

View Full Version : Military Shackles

Jim-ME
08-24-2009, 02:56 PM
For an 88 running parabolic springs would I have problems using military shackles in the front only? I've got 3 leaf rears with a soft top and would like to level out the height front to rear.
Jim

I Leak Oil
08-24-2009, 04:27 PM
Jim, I had to do a couple things with the same front setup as you're asking about. I had to notch the engine cross member because the drive shaft would hit it when the front end drooped. I also had to add 2 degrees worth of shim to correct the caster angle as the steering became a little heavy for my taste. The shim also helped with the pinion angle.

Jim-ME
08-24-2009, 05:27 PM
Thanks Jason.
Jim

jac04
08-24-2009, 07:40 PM
Jim- Which parabolics are you using? I had Rocky Mtns on my 63 soft top, and had to run front military shackles to level it out.

graniterover
08-24-2009, 09:43 PM
Jim,

You've seen my truck a few times. I too have mil length shackles in front. It's great with the soft top or a pickup top, but with the hard top and a rack on, the normal shackles are probably best. At least on my truck. Glad to hear others have done this - I really thought it was a hack but nothing seemed right - as soon as I put the longer shackles on it was (and is) great.

Mark

junkyddog11
08-28-2009, 09:27 PM
Jim,
Im running the military (or my version of that, which are actually a little longer) on my heap. Didn't have to cut the crossmenber for the driveshaft, just used an old D90 shaft. GBR also makes a skinny one to solve this issue. Did have to shim the axle 4 deg to get the castor and pinion angle back.

I Leak Oil
08-29-2009, 09:06 AM
Yup, a smaller diameter drive shaft will accomplish the same thing. I didn't want to spend any money on a different shaft so I cut the front corner of the cross member and cut a piece of tubing diagonally and welded it in. More time but less money, same results.:thumb-up: