PDA

View Full Version : Layshaft Split Ring - Suffix C

JackIIA
08-27-2009, 05:02 PM
Getting conflicting advice on split rings for a IIA transmission.

I was under the impression it should NOT be scored and broken at the 'hinge' and then the 2 halfs installed in the groove. (This is for the layshaft prior to the integrated shoulder). But some say you should score and snap it. I would think this would just make it falling out more likely should any play develop in the gear or during installation of the shaft. No? I'd rather keep it as designed, with no man-made breaks.

Any tips for installation as a complete unit, without snapping it? Call me cheap (because it's accurate!) but at $16 a pop, I don't want to do it wrong.

greenmeanie
08-28-2009, 10:35 AM
You shouldn't need to split it. You just need something conical to slip over the end of the shaft to spread it enough to get over the shoulder to its groove. I think I used a plastic piece form a computer cleaning vaccum kit or something odd like that. Measure the diameter and take a trip to the hardware shop.

JackIIA
08-28-2009, 12:50 PM
Well, it's split.

I'm unhappy with it's shape in any event. I have 2 kicking around (one that I just snapped, and another complete). Neither seem to be the correct diameter for the layshaft. Slightly oversized I'm guessing (though they look to be the same as the original).

I've concluded that because the recessed portion of the 2nd gear does not want to fully slide over them.

So my solution is that I'm going back to the original split, split ring. I understand that once the layshaft is together, the two split ring halves should remain in place. If there is a good reason I shouldn't reuse please feel free to let me know, then I'll have to sort this out.

Thanks