PDA

View Full Version : Electronic distributor install help

SeriesShorty
08-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Just got my new electronic distributor and am preparing to install. No instructions came with so I have a few questions before getting started.

Out of the distributor are a black and red wire, which then connect to a longer harness that is red (from red) and green (from the black). I'm assuming red goes to the + on the coil and green to the - on the coil?

Vacuum advance usually goes to face the firewall, right? But the way this one came set up if I put the advance facing the firewall, then the timing pointer is facing the passenger wing. I'm assuming it just happened to be put together this way and that I should place the advance facing the firewall and then adjust the direction of the pointer? Or leave the pointer alone and install regardless of the direction of the advance?

Any other tips or tricks before I get started? It's a Simon distributor from the UK BTW.

Thanks!

navydevildoc
08-30-2009, 11:35 AM
Not sure about the markings, but yes, the red wire will go to the + terminal and black (or green) to the - terminal on the coil.

kevkon
08-30-2009, 11:38 AM
Red wire connects to the positive connector on the coil, the Black connects to the negative ( for neg ground systems).
I think this distributor and the module is the same as BritPart.
Make sure that the rotor is in the same orientation to the cap ( spark plug & cylinder) as the one you are removing. Also, some of these electronic points replacement modules/ distributors do not fare so well with certain coils. I believe it's a resistance issue. Maybe someone else has some better knowledge regarding the BritPart/Simon units.

Nium
08-30-2009, 11:44 AM
With the # 1 cylinder at TDC of the power stroke the rotor (timing pointer) should point at the #1 firing position of the dizzy cap. If it's 180 degress off remove the dizzy rotate the shaft to point at #1 and not at #4 and reinstall. Or just make #1 where the rotor points with # 1 cylinder at TDC.

Make sure the timing marks are lined up and the engine is set to TDC for the #1 cylinder when installing dizzy.

Cheers

scott
08-30-2009, 12:04 PM
i just learned with a pertronix drop into your old dizzy type e-ign doesn't work w/ solid spark plug wires. they like the carbon impregnated fiber spark plug wires and the red wire can go to any 12v source, not just the coil. when you're connecting it to the + low lead coil you are just connecting it to the 12v source your coi is hooked to

SeriesShorty
08-30-2009, 12:23 PM
Thanks guys, does it matter which direction the vacuum advance is facing?

I think I'm gonna have to take off my old timing pointer (from my old military shielded distributor) as the holes don't line up to fit the hold down bolt.

SeriesShorty
08-30-2009, 02:13 PM
This puppy only wants to go in 180 off.

I've checked the green bible and the top drive coupler (engine side) should have the narrow segment facing towards the RH side of the engine (which I am going to assume they mean the passenger side) and aligned with #1.

At TDC, the slot is aligned to #1, but the narrow segment is facing the LH side of the engine (the drivers side). So of course, when I put the distributor in with the drive dog aligned with the top drive coupler the rotor is pointing towards #4, so 180 out.

Scratching my head.

kevkon
08-30-2009, 02:38 PM
Are you sure you are at TDC on the ignition stroke? If so, follow the manual regarding the slot and make sure the rotor is on the #1 cylinder position regardless of the location of the vacuum pot.

SeriesShorty
08-30-2009, 04:12 PM
Thanks for all of the help guys. Went back to the manual, checked everything over and did some tinkering and it's in and running. I feel kinda like Joan Crawford..."No more distributor points!" Doesn't quite have the same effect as wire hangers but ya get the point, pardon the pun.

Of course with the set up that I chose, I kinda cheated myself out of being able to pop in the old standard guts in the event of a malfunction in the electronic system. Oh well, that is why I have towing on my insurance policy. :p

Now to bypass the ballast since this thing is gonna want the full 12v.

kevkon
08-30-2009, 04:44 PM
Glad to hear that. I know a lot of the Triumph guys use that distributor, I will be interested to see how it works out for you. You might consider a newer high voltage coil and upgrading the plug wires if you do.