PDA

View Full Version : Amp Meter overcharging

LndRvr64
08-30-2009, 03:33 PM
I assume this means new voltage regulator needed. The Amps are fine at idle, but as I increase engine speed, they peg out pretty quick. I replaced the voltage regulator @ 3 years ago, so don't know why it would go so quick. Last time I just drove with the Amp meter pegged and then one time I restarted right after shutting it off and my battery blew up. conveniently there was somebody standing in the next parking spot over who jumped about 5 feet among other things. So... I guess I will resolve this one earlier and get a new voltage regulator now.

If anyone knows why the voltage regulator would die within a 3 year span I am all ears.

Thanks.

Jack

Nium
08-30-2009, 03:54 PM
Is the water/electrolyte level topped up in the battery?

I Leak Oil
08-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Do you have a generator or an alternator? When you say the ammeter is pegged do you mean charging or drawing?
If you still have the generator and you find you're going to put more money into your current system do yourself a favor and get rid of it, the external regulator and the ammeter. Switch ot a delco alt. (interal regulator) and a volt meter.

LndRvr64
08-30-2009, 05:25 PM
I have a generator. The amp meter on the dash pegs out to the vertical position. I would probably be better off with an alternator conversion, but can't bear the thought of modernizing my rover - As my wife says - I was born in the wrong half of the century.

I Leak Oil
08-30-2009, 05:40 PM
Well then it does sound like you either have a malfunctioning regulator or possibly a bad generator causing an over charge condition. I'm not sure if there is anything that could go wrong in the generator itself to cause over charging though. The regulators rarely go bad but it is possible. If I remember correctly (it's been a while) the regulator contacts can be cleaned or adjusted or something like that. If you search the net a gentleman named Al Richter might be able to help you as he is good with this type of thing. The factory manual might have some helpful info as well.
Or you could just buy a $35 alternator, splice some wires and have good, cheap, reliable power for many years.:)

JimCT
08-30-2009, 07:29 PM
Perhaps your battery is really down and needs the amperage? Those Lucas generators are not known for producing vast amounts of current. Have you checked the voltage? That really tells more of what is happening.

Cosmic88
08-30-2009, 08:40 PM
A couple questions... I assume you have the original 30+ / 30- ammeter, right? Is the gen on a positive or negative ground? Also, what are your idle rpm's? Depending on the lower charge threshold of your particular generator you may not see any output at your low idle rpm. When you rev it up you will exceed that threshold and cause the gen. to produce an output. If the battery is low your gen will automatically produce a high output in order to compensate for the low capacitance / charge of the battery. Check that water level....

The voltage regulator (as far as I am aware in the original regulator's) does not have a bearing on the generator output to the battery.

I have a generator. The amp meter on the dash pegs out to the vertical position. I would probably be better off with an alternator conversion, but can't bear the thought of modernizing my rover - As my wife says - I was born in the wrong half of the century.

I wouldn't consider it a major alteration (in a negative way) to update the very old generator (they do deteriorate over time) if it is original. The Delco 65 amp alt from a Chevy C10 is readily available at just about any auto parts shop and is quite inexpensive if that is a concern.

Nium
08-30-2009, 09:09 PM
Last time I just drove with the Amp meter pegged and then one time I restarted right after shutting it off and my battery blew up.

The only battery I ever had explode was in a 1969 Pontiac Firebird. The water/electrolyte level of the battery dropped below the level of the cells. Which allowed arcing to occur across the cells and well the electrolyte in a lead acid battery is sulfuric acid which is combustible. The vehicle stalled and when I went to restart it the battery exploded.

amcordo
09-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Terrifying thought since the battery is under the driver seat in my rover. Time to put in some steel plated butt armor.

The only battery I ever had explode was in a 1969 Pontiac Firebird. The water/electrolyte level of the battery dropped below the level of the cells. Which allowed arcing to occur across the cells and well the electrolyte in a lead acid battery is sulfuric acid which is combustible. The vehicle stalled and when I went to restart it the battery exploded.