PDA

View Full Version : low frequency vibration

wdenis123
08-30-2009, 07:49 PM
i just purchased a 2002 disco from a used car dealer.its a one owner car clean, with no accidents. the tire appeared to have been switched around the rear tire were badly cupped and looked like the were originally on the front of the truck.at around 52-55 miles per hour i would notice a low frequency drone or vibration almost as if there were an off road tire on the right front of the rover.I put new nitto 420s tires on this saturday and notice the same problem . however if i steer to the left about 1/2 an inch the sound seems to go away any one have any ideas truck is stock no lift.there are no vibes or shimmy in the wheel . im going to get the truck aligned anyway because the way the old tires were cupped.any other ideas thanks wayne:nono:

wdenis123
09-12-2009, 09:43 PM
spoke to arther at rovers north about vibe.he suggested that i check the alignment but was unsure it would cause what i was experiancing.guess what it solved the noise and vibration thanks again arther

TNdisco2
11-12-2009, 02:04 PM
wdenis123,

I thank you for posting this because I am experienceing the same problem and I've not found anyone with a similar issue. Although I notice the noise and vibration at around 65-70 mph and it gets worse the faster I go. I've eliminated everything except the wheel hubs and the way my tires have worn. I'm about to have my tires trued and if the noise is still there then I'm thinking its got to be a hub. Although I've never turned my steering wheel while its making the noise as you have noticed, so I'm going to try that to see if it stops. I've replaced the rotoflex on the rear drive shaft. I've replaced the front drive shaft. And I just had my transfer case taken out and replaced gaskets and seals (it was leaking) and everything looked good. After doing all of that I still have the vibration. I used to notice at around 75 mph on the interstate, but now I notice it at lower speeds. My tires have a lot of tread on them and worn a little odd, but not much. I really don't think it will be my tires, but I'm going to have them trued just to be sure because from what I hear the hub is around $400-$500. Let me know what you find out on your's. Thanks.

GunnySnow
11-14-2009, 04:37 PM
Hi there,

In the spring my 04 Disco II was making a bad low freq vibration...turns out my rear axle was out of alignment.

I also had a low freq vibration two weeks ago for about a week before my front jackshaft grenaded.

Check out your driveshafts ASAP

Mike