X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • poko
    Low Range
    • Oct 2006

Chassis Bushings

Just about ready to remove the rear spring chassis bush's from the ambulance....is it really as hard as I have been reading? Tricks? How about installation of the new ones? What about poly bushings, I understand they are easier to fit than the LR bushings. If I have to saw the old bushing out, is there a recip saw blade that will fit?
    Thanks,

Chuck
  • jp-
    5th Gear
    • Oct 2006

Some people have had good luck pressing them out with big C-clamps, or using bolts and washers. Mine were rusted in on the 88". I used a blow torch to burn out the inner tube and the old rubber. I then (carefully) hack-sawed through the outer ring bush, and chiseled it out after cutting it through.

I replaced my originals with polybushes. Some people say they last half as long as the originals. I don't know yet, and I really don't care as it is soooo easy to change them.
    61 II 109" Pickup (Restomod, 350 small block, TR4050)
    66 IIA 88" Station Wagon (sold)
    66 IIA 109" Pickup (Restomod, 5MGE, R380)
    67 IIA 109" NADA Wagon (sold)
    88, 2.5TD 110 RHD non-hicap pickup

-I used to know everything there was to know about Land Rovers; then I joined the RN Bulletin Board.

Comment

• dmurrell
      Low Range
      • Oct 2006

Hole Saw

I have found the easiest way to deal with them are to remove the rubber with a hole saw and then use a hack saw to saw through the steel collar - then you can drive them out with a punch.

And yes polybushes are awesome in a series truck.

Comment

Working...