PDA

View Full Version : IIA at the columbia, SC zoo

thixon
08-31-2009, 02:00 PM
If anyone has been to Riverbanks Zoo, then you've seen the late IIa 88 rusting away in one of the exhibits. Just for laughs, I sent and email off inquiring on its status. Below is my inquiry, and the response. Start at the bottom.

Hi Travis,
Thank you for your email to Riverbanks Zoo. There are no plans to remove the vehicle from the exhibit at this time. However, if I hear of it going to the junk yard, we'll email you.
Thank you for your inquiry,
Heather Doggett
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 10:40 AM
To: Heather Doggett
Subject: FW: Contact Form Submission from Web site
Hi Heather,
Can you kindly respond? (I'm assuming you are the "keeper" of the exhibit props....)
Thanks,

Monique
-----Original Message-----
From: thixon@frtw.com [mailto:thixon@frtw.com (thixon@frtw.com)]
Sent: Monday, August 31, 2009 10:37 AM
To: Monique Jacobs
Subject: Contact Form Submission from Web site

------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------
1. CONTACT INFORMATION:
------------------
> Name -- Travis Hixon
> Email Address -- thixon@frtw.com
------------------
2. I HAVE A QUESTION OR COMMENT ABOUT GENERAL INFORMATION:
------------------
I'm curious about the plans for the land rover that currently rests in one of your exhibits. Do you plan to let it sit, or is this something you may haul away to the crusher one day? Its not a restoration candidate, but would make a good parts car. If there are plans to ever haul it away, please let me know. I'd be glad to rescue it.
------------------
Server protocol: HTTP/1.1
Remote IP address: 63.148.128.102

LRMAN
08-31-2009, 02:44 PM
Well, I am dying to know, which exhibit? Monkeys? Lions, Elephants?

bmohan55
08-31-2009, 03:10 PM
Well, I am dying to know, which exhibit?(grease) Monkeys? Lion( to ourselvse)s, (ah, to)Elephants?

fixed it

Rineheitzgabot
08-31-2009, 03:15 PM
The Zoo in Fort Wayne, IN has a '65 in the African exhibit. It is actually in decent shape. Kids can get in it and clown around. I crawled in it last month and wrote down the VIN, that's how I know the exact year.

There are actually parts on the thing that are brand new, and I would like to have. :eek:

I keep forgetting to have my wife snap a pic of it, so I can post it up here.

Thix,

I love the way you worded your request; using the word "rescue", is a perfect way to appeal to an animal lover.

KingSlug
09-01-2009, 03:40 AM
There is a IIa 5 dr SW half in the bushes at the San Diego Wild Animal Park, I have a whole slew of pics if I can find them. I wont say what parts I removed but I will tell you they were NLA, and my wife was disgusted with me.

Jared

Mud&Rox
09-01-2009, 06:41 AM
the zoo in Knoxville, TN also has an old series for kids to climb all over

jimsshuman
09-01-2009, 08:54 AM
disney world's animal kingdom has a nice one as well, and they have a pseudo-rover, electrified that they drive in one of the parades. my girlfriend was only mildly annoyed with me for somehow managing to spend time talking about rovers in disney world.