X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JayGoss
    1st Gear
    • Nov 2006

charge light on all the time

Recently had some work on my Series II (with generator/voltage regulator/positive earth- original setup). I noticed the ammeter pegged at the top of the gauge while running. After running for a while the ammeter returned to the neutral location and the charge light came on- and remains on now as soon as the key is turned to the on position prior to starting- and regardless of engine speed when running. I noticed the mechanic had swapped the yellow and yellow/green wires at the voltage regulator. I reconnected the voltage regulator according to the wiring schematic in my rover manual. Now the ammeter seems to work (remains in the neutral position- then dips down when electrical accessories are turned on, etc) but the charge light won't go out. In addition the generator is making a slight whistling noise as if the bearing is worn (not sure if this is a related issue- but it occurred in conjunction with the charge light issue). The voltage regulator and wiring harness are brand new- and the generator is a newly rebuilt unit. Wondering if the wiring mistake fried the regulator or generator? Any ideas/help/wisdom would be appreciated.
    1960 Series II SWB
    1994 NAS D90 ST
    1963 SIIa SWB (sold)
    1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
    2000 Disco SII (sold)
    1995 RR Classic (sold)
  • east high
    3rd Gear
    • Jan 2008

IIRC that light flips on when a charge isn't detected, so perhaps there's something amiss with the wire that runs that signal to the light? A broken or disconnected connection.
    '67 sIIa 88

Comment

• kevkon
      3rd Gear
      • Aug 2009

Originally posted by JayGoss
      Wondering if the wiring mistake fried the regulator or generator? Any ideas/help/wisdom would be appreciated.
      I doubt your gen or reg is "fried". Sounds like a common grounding issue that can happen , specially when getting mixed up with the pos. ground system. Use a multimeter to check voltage output at the gen. Then use it to check continuity on the lines in question.
      94 D-90 tdi
      72 Series III

Comment

• JayGoss
        1st Gear
        • Nov 2006

thanks folks. Will check voltage at the gen and if that's good start going through system. I was incorrect when I mentioned it was positive ground- realized it has been converted to negative earth (battery neg goes to ground strap, ign coil wires reversed, ammeter wires reversed, etc). Spoke w/mechanic this am- he's rush shipping a new generator for the weekend in case it is fried; nice guy- he knows he made a mistake and is taking action to correct....not something you'd typically experience at the Toyota dealer!
        1960 Series II SWB
        1994 NAS D90 ST
        1963 SIIa SWB (sold)
        1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
        2000 Disco SII (sold)
        1995 RR Classic (sold)

Comment

• KSMTAW
          Low Range
          • Dec 2006

Polarize

If I remeber correctly (its been about 10 years) when I put in my new generator, I had to poalrize it. It came with a little sheet of paper that told me how to do it.

You had to tell it to be positive or negative ground.

I think you had to touch one of the terminals to the positive post for certain amount of time (30 seconds or so)

Can anyone else refresh me/ or him on this?

Thanks-
          Todd
          Todd
          66 IIA 88"
          93 Porsche 968 variocam 6spd
          50 Ford 8N

Comment

• thixon
            5th Gear
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by KSMTAW

Can anyone else refresh me/ or him on this?

Thanks-
            Todd

See step 6
            Travis
            '66 IIa 88

Comment

• JayGoss
              1st Gear
              • Nov 2006

Well thanks for the replies folks. Turns out the generator was blown- that's what happens when you swap the yellow and yellow/green wires at the voltage regulator! Replaced with new generator from host and all is well. Only issue now is the generator doesn't appear to be a Lucas- either that or it has a different design. One of the leads is on the top of the generator now (instead of both being behind) which places the wire about 2-3" away from the hot exhaust manifold. I can't see that connection being reliable for very long. Anyone have any experience with this new style? Hoping someone out there has a generator with the connection in the same location that has some miles on it & can report that the location isn't an issue.
              1960 Series II SWB
              1994 NAS D90 ST
              1963 SIIa SWB (sold)
              1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
              2000 Disco SII (sold)
              1995 RR Classic (sold)

Comment

• JayGoss
                1st Gear
                • Nov 2006

Here are a couple of thmbs of the generator connection location. Whadyafink?
                1960 Series II SWB
                1994 NAS D90 ST
                1963 SIIa SWB (sold)
                1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
                2000 Disco SII (sold)
                1995 RR Classic (sold)

Comment

• scott
                  Overdrive
                  • Oct 2006

can you rotate the gen 180 degrees? put the connector underneath if you're concerned w/ the heat
                  '64 Series IIA 88 Canvas Tilt
                  '68 Series IIA RHD Ambulance
                  '76 Spitfire 1500
                  '07 LR3 (Series Recovery Vehicle)

Comment

• JayGoss
                    1st Gear
                    • Nov 2006

Originally posted by scott
                    can you rotate the gen 180 degrees? put the connector underneath if you're concerned w/ the heat

Not sure- but a good thought. I would have to dismantle the back plate of the generator and rotate that 180 degrees to get the mounting points in their correct locations- will take a look and see if it's possible. Hopefully my concerns are unwarranted, the connector is far enough away from the header and I'm just being paranoid....
                    1960 Series II SWB
                    1994 NAS D90 ST
                    1963 SIIa SWB (sold)
                    1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
                    2000 Disco SII (sold)
                    1995 RR Classic (sold)

Comment

Working...