PDA

View Full Version : Refitting distributor - what's wrong about this?

rbonnett
09-04-2009, 06:59 PM
The little screw holding the condenser fell down into my distributor. OK, off comes the dizzy, got the screw out. Then my neighbor wasn't home to come put a finger in the #1 hole while I turned the crank handle. I pulled all the plugs, but my fan belt just slipped. Then I started reasoning :eek:

The engine hasn't moved, so I have a 50/50 chance of getting the splines on the dizzy shaft in the right way around. If I have it backwards, the timing will be so far off it probably won't even start. Put it back in - sure enough a couple splutters and a good pop through the carb. Undid it - spun the rotor 180 and put it back. Starts right up, runs fine.

Compared to the instructions, this is just so much simpler there has to be something coming back to bite me. Am I paranoid or did I do something really stupid out of impatience?

NickDawson
09-04-2009, 11:08 PM
if you haven't followed my problems then consider this a strong caveat against anything I have to say :D - but I did just spend a lot of time with my dizzy. From what I learned, if it did start then I think you got it right. Worst case it would be firing out of order - but when would it even start?

Anxious to hear what others think.

thixon
09-07-2009, 08:56 PM
Yes, you're bing paranoid. Take deep breath, its okay.

Next time you want to find #1 on compression and your neighbors not home, put a dowel in #1 spark plug hole, and slowly turn the crank by hand (do not engage starter!). I use a screw driver, but I'm kinda stupid sometimes.

scott
09-07-2009, 09:07 PM
i was doing that a coupe of weeks ago. didn't have a wood dowel so i used one of them plastic mini-blind rods and the end got pinched and about 3/4" snapped of the end. i almost cried. kirby vaccum and some fuel line and got lucky and got it out

bmohan55
09-08-2009, 07:54 AM
I use a drinking straw.

rbonnett
09-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Thanks - never occurred to me to put something into the spark plug hole. Now I want to see how far I can launch a wooden dowel across the garage!