PDA

View Full Version : Series IIA &%$#!! Bushings - Need help!

brunomacarto
09-04-2009, 10:48 PM
After 15 years of ownership (I got her in high school), I'm finally getting around to rebuilding my '64 Series IIA. Over the years, I've done lots of tinkering, but I'm still far from a mechanic. I'll give my best description, let me know if you have any tips, thoughts.

I have the whole front end off. I now have the motor on the chasis, plus bulkhead and rear bed. I ordered RN parabolic springs, OM Emu shocks, and new polybushings (the kit, with 1Ls and 1Ns).

After a long day with many explitives, I've popped out the original bushings on the front right side (aft of the shock). If I understand it correctly, this is the spring shackle bushing, right? At this point, I'm feeling victorious and thought I'd try to install my new polybushings. Well, they don't just 'slide right in'. In fact, I had to get a pretty mammoth clamp, and some dishsoap to jam them in there. Now, new bushings installed, I can't (by hand or clamp) install the new center cylinder in through the new (orange) polybushings without torqueing the new bushing.

So, here are my questions:
1. Am I going about this wrong?
2. Any chance I bouught the wrong part (the RN kit for Series vehicles)?
or lastly
3. Did I leave out a step?

When I cleaned out the debris of the old bushing from the sleeve in the frame, I noticed that there is a gap on the inside of the cylinder, as if two smaller radius cylinders had been welded within the sleeve and they don't quite meet in the center. Do these have to come out?

Last question... Can someone tell me if these polybushings are worth all of this crap??? I'm only @ the first corner, and I'm already dreading the work for the other side and the rear.

Any help or pointers would be greatly appreciated. Many Thanks, Brian

scatterling
09-05-2009, 05:02 AM
the polybushings should slide in quite easily. My guess is that you haven't gotten the outer sleeve of the old bushings out of the frame. There would have been a small inner metal sleeve, then about a 1/4" of rubber and then an outer metal sleeve. I cut the outer sleeve most of the way through in 2 places with a sawzall ( careful not to damage the frame) and then pried out the pieces with a hammer and screwdriver.

kevkon
09-05-2009, 07:46 PM
Yeah, and it sounds like they are the two piece bushings.

Sputnicker
09-05-2009, 09:42 PM
I
noticed that there is a gap on the inside of the cylinder, as if two smaller radius cylinders had been welded within the sleeve and they don't quite meet in the center. Do these have to come out?

The good news is that they are not welded in - they are a press fit. The bad news is they definitely have to come out - regardless of what kind of bushing you want to install (stock or aftermarket).

brunomacarto
09-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Great, Thanks for the pointers... I'll start choppin' later today. So, I'll assume that the new bushings are worth the hassle then!

kevkon
09-06-2009, 10:02 AM
That's a matter of personal opinion. I prefer the stock bushings applied with Never-Seez. Remember, if you have the split bushings try to chisel them out from the middle to each side after cutting a relief slot.

ArlowCT
09-06-2009, 10:23 PM
After removing the inner sleeve and the rubber I use a air hammer with the metal cutting tip on it and gently force the outer sleeve out of the frame. The last set I did took about a minute each once I had the rubber out to remove all four (it also works good for removing the rubber). I think I payed about $25 for the air hammer and it was worth about three times that to skip the slotting and pounding by hand.

I love the poly bush. I do a lot of off-roading and enjoy how easy the truck flexes with them. They do ware out quicker but they are really easy to replace. For the most part the factory bushings should last a lot more than ten years (someone said they don't make them as good anymore). I got about 6 years form my poly bush but pushed them hard off-road. I didn't even think twice about ordering another set.