PDA

View Full Version : bad running fuel pump issues2a109

glbft1
09-05-2009, 05:24 PM
Hello all,
Well the rig broke down, thought it was fuel pump, replaced in field and then discovered it was the fuel line, replaced that part truck runs but when you apply 1/2 throttle it sputters and backfires and starts to die?
limped home so am wondering if i should replace whole gas line, just fixed the break with new hose so it should run as it did any ideas??:confused:

scott
09-05-2009, 06:20 PM
pull your pick up tube from the tank and check to see if it's clear

hughwilton
09-05-2009, 10:30 PM
I had a similar problem after I replaced a fuel pump to my 8.1 comp 2.25 in my 109. After trying two new fuel pumps & having the same results I replaced it with an electric fuel pump. The electric pump has worked fine for the past 3 yrs. I can't explain it, I know a regular fuel pump should work just fine but it didn't. (I also cleared the fuel lines etc prior to going electric). My two cents worth.

JayGoss
09-05-2009, 11:34 PM
Had similar problem as well. Went through 2 new ProLine fuel pumps- both were bad. Finally replaced with new style genuine fuel pump- problem solved. Guess I can do without the cool-looking sediment bowl!

chrismccarthy
09-12-2009, 04:32 PM
what 'new' fuel pump is recommended for a 109? my original pump is another 40 year old part that might, or might not...work. Part number , suggestions please.

SafeAirOne
09-12-2009, 06:05 PM
what 'new' fuel pump is recommended for a 109? my original pump is another 40 year old part that might, or might not...work. Part number , suggestions please.

I think you mentioned in another post that you had a 6-cyl NADA 2.6 engine...You should have 2 fuel pumps, I believe. One electric boost pump mounted on the right hand chassis rail below the right front door and the engine-driven uplift pump mounted on (and driven by) the engine.

glbft1
09-13-2009, 08:11 AM
Thanks everyone for thr tips replaced the pro-line pump with a genuine sans the glass bulb and fixed the problem. found out that the pro-line runs at 3-4 pounds pressure and the genuine runs at 6-7 pounds,back on the road :D
Thanks
Greg

kevkon
09-13-2009, 08:18 AM
That's amazing, almost 100% difference in psi between Pro-Line and genuine units.
Anyone take the two apart and notice any substantial difference in construction or it it due to the sediment bowl ?

JayGoss
09-13-2009, 08:25 AM
Had similar problem as well. Went through 2 new ProLine fuel pumps- both were bad. Finally replaced with new style genuine fuel pump- problem solved. Guess I can do without the cool-looking sediment bowl!

Just wanted to clarify for anyone who may have read this, is considering a ProLine- or has one installed. I think my specific problem was related to vapor lock secondary to the altitude where I live (7000ft) and a high ethanol content in the local fuel. The genuine fuel pump was an improvement over the ProLine with regard to the vapor lock issue- may have been that the higher pressure of the genuine helped with my vapor lock issue. In different conditions (i.e. lower altitude or different fuel formulation) the ProLine pumps I tried may have worked just fine. Hope I didn't cause any unnecessary concern.

kevkon
09-13-2009, 08:48 AM
But I do think it's valid to be concerned about such a performance differential. I would think the specs and performance should be the same.
Just looked at the re-build kits for these and there is a substantial difference in the diaphragm and inner parts.

JayGoss
09-13-2009, 08:58 AM
Agreed!

kevkon
09-13-2009, 01:36 PM
Jay, how did you make out with the vapor lock issue?

JayGoss
09-13-2009, 11:35 PM
Jay, how did you make out with the vapor lock issue?

Well I had a bad day today. Tried a cooler thermostat- no cigar. Decided to try electric fuel pump #2 (Carter). Spent a good part of the day installing it. Went for a test ride and broke either my transmission or transfer box- newly rebuilt with about 500 miles on it. Got to the main road, stopped, released the clutch and nothing happened. Thought I had somehow broken both rear half shafts. Popped it into 4wd and all I got was a whining sound from the front. This is the first rover I have paid someone to restore for me (my other ones were restored by me)- and it's like I'm restoring it myself in the long run anyway! Thanks for asking about the vapor lock issue- won't know the answer to that for a good while as I've now got bigger issues to deal with!