PDA

View Full Version : Leaf Springs

Nium
09-07-2009, 09:03 PM
I was examining the brakes and ended up rolling around under Ronnie, while I had him up on jack stands, checking frame condition and the such. Noticed the right leaf spring is starting to bulge either side of the bottom plate and that one of the wrap around keepers has become bent to the point it has almost been forced off the stack of leafs. It looks like it's from rust forming between the leafs forcing the leafs apart. Figure I'll be droppin the spring and disassembling, cleaning, and refitting.

Is it worthwhile or should I jus' get 2 new sets of springs for the rear and make knives out of the old leafs? If all the leafs are still sound and not cracked; after all the work involved would it be reasonable to expect a good stack for awhile after reassembly? I've never taken apart and reassembled a leaf spring any suggestions?

I have thought and read about parabolics and want to stay with leafs.

Thanks

gudjeon
09-07-2009, 09:50 PM
You can breathe some new life into the leafs by rebuilding them as you already know. Mine were at the point you described and they cleaned up and work really well. That was 5 years ago and still going. Just remember to clamp the pack in a vise when undoing the centre bolt. The corrosion puts a great pressure on the ass'y. Wire wheel in a grinder, graphite grease if you can get it, and bolt them back together. :thumb-up:

With all the talk of dodgy springs available, at least you'll know what you've got.

Nium
09-07-2009, 11:30 PM
gudjeon,

You bring up a point I meant to ask on lubricating and protecting the leafs from corrosion. I googled graphite grease and found a site, that apparently, that's all they sell (http://www.graphitestore.com). It looks like their product Slide N Glide (http://www.graphitestore.com/itemDetails.asp?item_id=2776&prd_id=340&cat_id=28&curPage=1) would be really good for this application. It's designed for Automotive applications and has a 54.5% graphite content.

Manufactorer's sales pitch...

It is durable, weather and corrosion resistant; will not pick up dirt, dust or grit; ideal for difficult environments where grease is not an option; very resistant to settling, easily remixed; formulated with non-Hazardous Air Pollutant solvent.

I mean talk about a perfect fit and it's only $39.00 a gallon before shipping. I'd figure that be enough to do all four springs. In typical Rover maintenance mindset "Ya know, if I'm doing one might as well do all four."

Did you, or anyone else, have a different flavor of graphite grease that you'd recommend? I assume application is to just coat all sides of each individual leaf and keepers before reassembly? The manufactorer of Slide N Glide states it can be applied with brush or spray.

Thanks

kevkon
09-08-2009, 07:14 AM
Walker, you might also paint the leaves with POR 15 and then apply Polyethylene Tape. I am not sure the grease will last over time and how it's going to look.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Manufacturing/Industry/Product-Catalog/Online-Catalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230GE3E02LECFTDQGLE0_nid=NSSR7S8QPKbeW 8LNFLFN3Xgl

gudjeon
09-08-2009, 12:54 PM
What I ended up doing was applying the graphite-based Permatex Neversieze and then wiping on some grease between layers. Not ideal, but its in there. The grease stayed in there for a while. Now, I pressure wahs the heck out of them and brush them up with with cheap motor oil. Keeps them supple and slidy.:thumb-up: