PDA

View Full Version : Hard to start when warm

Big Yellow
09-08-2009, 05:34 PM
First, quick into, I have a 1965 88, hard top. Just got it a few months ago, and after a bit of work it's a blast to drive. Been reading this site for months now, but now have a question.

I'm noticing that it's hard to start when the engine is hot. With a cold engine (air temps 70-80) it starts with just a quick press on the button, if I stop after say 20 minutes and try to start again within 3-4 minutes no problem, but (here's the problem) if I wait say 20 minutes it will take a few several long hits on the starter. Doesn't want to fire, maybe lack of fuel?

It has a new Weber that I think is set correctly (runs fine in all other areas). I'm thinking it must be a heat problem, as the longer I wait the worse it gets (well, till it's cool again).

Anybody else have this, or any hints on things to do? Oh, and a pick of my toy.

Nium
09-08-2009, 09:02 PM
Well Big Yellar definately seems like your issue is heat related. Next time it happens pull a plug and check it for spark. Set plug back in the plug wire with the bottom electrode resting on a good ground. Spin engine by starter to see if you get good blue spark. If you get good spark then likely cause fuel related. I've got a home made heat shield under the carb on my rig. PO installed but always seemed like a good idea so I've left it there. The heat from the exhaust manifold may very well be heating the carb to the point the fuel in float bowl is vaporising out and takes a few turns before it refills.

I get ahead of myself. Check spark first.

Congrats, that's a nice looking Rover!

Cheers!

Mike Koch
09-09-2009, 07:47 AM
Make sure your fuel line from the pump to the carburetor goes around the front of the engine and not over the valve cover(and that it is ascending the entire distance between those two points).

TSR53
09-09-2009, 08:04 AM
Welcome to the Rovers North forum, nice looking Series. Keep us posted on the progress.

kevkon
09-09-2009, 08:06 AM
Make sure the carb insulating block is in place as well.