PDA

View Full Version : Priming rebuilt 2.25L engine w/ oil

TJR
09-08-2009, 08:30 PM
I rec'vd my rebuilt shortblock 2.25L from the engine shop. I need to spend some time to re-assemble and right now I'm planning out all the steps.
When it comes time to start up the engine, what method have you used to prime the oil system. On my 351W (ford brinco) I was able to pull the dist and drive the oil pump w/a socket and extension attached to a drill. With the Dist drive gear in the way and a splined drive shaft.. this method seems bit trickier.?? Any other ideas? Thx.. Talbot

gudjeon
09-08-2009, 10:03 PM
Remove plugs and crank over with starter until oil pressure starts to rise.:thumb-up:

jac04
09-09-2009, 07:03 AM
^^My Turner engine came with essentially the same instructions. They state to crank then engine until the oil pressure light goes off and also verify that oil is flowing to the rockers by pulling the valve cover.

greenmeanie
09-09-2009, 10:17 AM
If you're going to just crank the engine over make sure you apply plenty of assembly grease to all moving parts during assembly. Nasty things happen to bearings in only a couple of turns if run dry.

TJR
09-09-2009, 08:43 PM
Spoke w/ the engine shop.. They offered to loan me a pressure tank oil prime system. Basically a pressure tank that is filled w/ fresh oil that I can connect to the oil pressure sensor port and force oil into the engine. Seems simple enough.

The enigne was also well pre-lubed at re-assy

..TR

Bertha
09-10-2009, 06:44 AM
Pack oil pump with vaseline.
Pull HT wire and crank over motor until you see oil pressure(temporarily mount an oil press guage directly to the oil filter housing)
You should be good to go.
All this assumes that motor was rebuilt with assembly lube, however the vaseline will protect the motor on the initial crank over.

if you dont want to use the vaseline metod then you can prime the pump out of the truck by dropping oil down the shaft hole and turningit with shaft until you feel/see the oil circulate around the pump.