PDA

View Full Version : LizardSkin or other Heat Shield

brunomacarto
09-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Greetings to all,

I have my '64 Ser. IIA down to the bulkhead, and had a flashback of the heat/noise transfer through the bulkhead.

I found 'LizardSkin' on Eastwood's site, but has anyone used this, or another product to reduce heat/noise transfer through the bulkheads and floorboards?

http://www.eastwood.com/lizard-skin-ceramic-insulation-1-gal-pail.html

-Brian

xsbowes
09-09-2009, 03:25 AM
Wonder if it resists chipping from rocks? Sparticles? No wonder the spartans were so angry.:eek:

east high
09-09-2009, 10:23 AM
Eastwood needs a proofreader...

frans
09-10-2009, 08:20 AM
http://www.eastwood.com/lizard-skin-ceramic-insulation-1-gal-pail.html

-Brian
Kind of a gimmick. Works sorta but really no joy.

I tried a similar product, http://www.metalshield.com/buyrustproofing.html Which is the same idea except that it has a rust inhibitor.

20-25 degree temp. drop seems about right. Translates into too much trouble for such a little gain. My series was still way too hot on the floorboards.
Ended up getting Sound proofing material, it works much better.

thixon
09-10-2009, 10:58 AM
Brian,

X2 with Frans. I used the stick on stuff in my first series and got great results. IIRC I went all over the bulkhead, flloor, and seat box.

Good luck.

Bertha
09-10-2009, 02:16 PM
I applied lizard skin to my current 88 restoration. It is on the lower part of the bulkhead and on the underside of the rear body. I applied both the noise component and the sound component. I have also used some heavy duty sound deadening pads throughout the truck, so it may be hard to say exactly how much affect the Lizard skin product actually has. It seems very durable and worked really well as a seam sealer so far, however the truck is not "officially" on the road yet, so I can not attest to its sound deadening capabilities or its heat resistance as they claim. I will update everyone once I put the hardtop on and go for a long ride. I will say it wasnt cheap by the time I bought the applicator and the 2 products.

Bertha
09-10-2009, 02:21 PM
Wonder if it resists chipping from rocks? Sparticles? No wonder the spartans were so angry.:eek:

Definitely should resist rocks based on the way it looks so far.

thixon
09-10-2009, 03:48 PM
Hey Bertha,

Did you top coat it with paint, or did you just leave it alone?

Bertha
09-10-2009, 04:39 PM
Hey Bertha,

Did you top coat it with paint, or did you just leave it alone?

Yes. It top coated very well. I ran out of picture post space on the board, however if you are interested I could email you some close up pics-just PM me if interested.

txeagle
09-11-2009, 10:54 PM
Go out to the hotrodders.com forum and search for lizardskin. There are a couple of threads dealing with lizardskin and how to make an much less expensive alternative.

Ben

4flattires
09-12-2009, 08:06 AM
...but math is another.

"One 2 gallon container covers..." They sell it in the 1 gallon pail. :confused:

Whoops!

J

txeagle
09-12-2009, 07:16 PM
OK, here's the thread on hotrodders about making your own version of lizard skin...
http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alternative-lizard-skin-103610.html

Enjoy the reading.....

Ben

frans
09-13-2009, 08:57 AM
In the quest for a quiet/cool series...
First I used the coating, which didn't seem to do anything really other than seal up the odd holes here and there.
Then I applied engine compartment material which made a big difference, but I still got alot of heat through the floor boards.

So now I am thinking of installing a heat shield betwix the exhaust pipes and the floor boards.

My 109 has a chevy conversion and the two pipes generate alot of heat. The other day during a warm afternoon my IF heat gun/measuring device showed a temp of 150F on the floor board!
With the pipes less than 2 inches from the floor boards I am thinking that a heat shield is really the only way to funnel the heat away.

I will use a thin sheet of steel or tin, curve it around the pipe between the pipe and the floor boards, and mount it so it stands away from both by just a bit.

Tim Smith
09-13-2009, 08:48 PM
What about using exhaust insulating wrap? I've been thinking about it but it's low on the list.