PDA

View Full Version : 109 6 cyl fuel tank

chrismccarthy
09-12-2009, 05:03 PM
i'm confused...i see RN lists my stock fuel tank as "NLA" but they list a generic 109 tank..? is that still a tank i can use, does that tank need some fitting? someone here said i should get another tank rather than spend the time, money, and energy coating and JB Welding my tank...real world experience please!

Donnie
09-14-2009, 09:42 PM
I have the same question. No one seems to know what we are asking..............Duh:confused:

rwollschlager
09-14-2009, 09:51 PM
it is possible to fab up a new tank. The gas tank in my dads 109 was fabbed up out of stainless steel, holds near 24 gallons, and is still going strong. He just gave the dimensions to a sheet metal fabricator which took care of the rest.

SafeAirOne
09-14-2009, 11:08 PM
You might be able to use this tank:

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/images/Product/large/PLH650.JPG

but I think you'd have to switch to the 623097 sender w/uplift tube:

http://www.lrseries.com/resources/user/668abb1b8cbe1d6c60ce9f062f5f87ddce5a9497/tank_sender_petrol_lwb.jpg

Call RN to confirm this if you end up going this route...

chrismccarthy
09-15-2009, 03:16 AM
rwoll, do you know who your Dad used? a contact name and number? wouldn't mind a bigger tank at that...
Safe, that looks just like the original, so i'm not sure the difference. really would like some input from those experienced! eh hmm!

Terrys
09-15-2009, 06:30 AM
I'm not certain, but I think RNs Proline tanks are Britpart. I just got one for an 88, and have to say it's the first Britpart piece I ever got that was first class quality.

SafeAirOne
09-15-2009, 06:50 AM
...that looks just like the original, so i'm not sure the difference. really would like some input from those experienced! eh hmm!

Well, if the one pictured is the one RN supplies, then the difference is that the fuel sender is held in by a cam locking ring, not a bunch of screws. Also, the fuel uplift tube is not a separate fitting, installed right next to the sender hole, but rather is not installed at all. This leads me to believe that you'd have to convert to the sender w/uplift tube combo.

Les Parker
09-15-2009, 08:15 AM
The Proline tank RN offers is for post 1976 109's either pick-up or Station Wagon.
Thus, it is designed to work on the -ve ground sender, so you could elect to have a sperate fuel guage, or with a bit of re-wiring to use the later water temp and fuel guages (not forgetting the voltage stabilizer), it can be made to work.
If you need further assistance, please call,

greenmeanie
09-15-2009, 10:10 AM
Les,
You wouldn't happen to know the diameter of the top sealing plate on that 623097? If its the right diameter and with a bit of modification it might serve a very useful purpose on one of my trucks.

Les Parker
09-15-2009, 10:45 AM
I'll go and get the diameter.
Using my super duper Rovers North measuring tape it is 2.5" diameter.
Will this work for you?
I guess you could graft the workings off a +ve sender onto this mounting plate.

Let me know.
Still have an A35 in Phoenix?

:)

Firemanshort
09-15-2009, 01:23 PM
I have no idea about the 6cyl carb set up - but this tank was not correct for the V8 as the V8 had an electric fuel pump and needed a fuel return hose back to the tank. The tank pictured does not allow for this. (It could be rigged to work - but not factory purpose.)

The V8 tank is the same part # as the diesel tank - FWIW. Again, this may have no relation to the 6cyl setup.

Roverlab
09-15-2009, 02:06 PM
That is the tank that I fitted (twice) to my 109 Truck Cab with a home market 6 cylinder. Upgraded to the cam lock float/pick up-it is nice to the level!
I ended up fitting a 2nd replacement tank after I backed into a rock playing in the back yard and cracked a weld. Was heading to Rausch Creek that weekend and chose to just buy another tank. Never did get around to repairing the first tank, but it is fixable.
Make an offer?