PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone recommend a coil?

SeriesShorty
09-13-2009, 02:20 PM
I have previously posted about having issues with my new electronic distributor (similar to the DiscoTech model). I think I have narrowed down my problem to the coil producing weak and intermittant spark. I think issues with resistance may have prematurely killed the coil, or it could just be that Accel products totally bite, which is what I am leaning to believe. Also, I am NOT using a ballast resistor, bypassed that today per the distributor mfgs recommendation.

So my question is: given I am using this DiscoTech style electronic distributor (I can't find any specs on resistance but they sold me the unit recommended to work my Accel coil which was 1.3ohms primary) can someone recommend specs for a replacement coil before I hit Napa today?

1) Do I want epoxy or oil?
2) Ballast coil or non-ballast coil? I'm assuming non-ballast since electronic modules like the juice.
3) Should I stick around 1.3ohms primary resistance? I see they are commonly available in 1.3 or 3.

Thanks mucho!
Jen

kevkon
09-13-2009, 02:52 PM
Personally I prefer the Bosch blue epoxy coil. I like to use the epoxy coils in high vibration applications. It's 3.4 ohms so it is good with most aftermarket electronic systems ( though I don't know about yours).
Accell is a hit or miss situation, imho. But that's also true with a lot of other branded ignition parts.
In your case you might want to go with a Lucas sport coil or a Pertronix Flame thrower 4000.
Two things, obviously you know about the reistance issue . Just make sure that you are getting the right specs and you end up with the proper resistance for your ignition system. Second, and I know some might dispute this, if you go with an oil filled coil it should be mounted upright. I know Land Rover mounted these sideways, but that really isn't ideal for oil filled coils as the oil can leak from the top seal ( it's also more prone to have the primary lead disconnect).

SeriesShorty
09-16-2009, 07:03 PM
Thanks for the coil advice Kevcon. The place that sells the Bosch coils around here was closed on monday, so I ended up with an MSD. Just installed it and the truck started right up. Idled for 30 seconds and shut down. Started right back up and idled for about 15 minutes then shut down. Started right back up again, ran out of time to play with the truck so I turned it off and came inside.

Weird, eh?

Is there anything special to mounting a coil, like can mounting a coil at a wrong angle or with it rotated in the mounting bracket cause such weird shut down issues? I know oil filled are supposed to be mounted vertically, but anything special about an epoxy coil? As long as I have my wires on the correct terminals it shouldn't matter whether the + is left or right, or up or down, etc. Right?

kevkon
09-16-2009, 07:50 PM
I don't think your problem is the coil or how it's mounted, Jen. Do some searching on that distributor. I remember seeing some similar problems on a couple UK Mg and Triumph sites.

I Leak Oil
09-17-2009, 04:54 AM
Coil or not, I've had no issues with the NAPA coil I bought 14 years ago. They really don't go bad that often.

SeriesShorty
09-17-2009, 08:50 PM
Frustrating indeed. Spent a lot of time on a Renault forum where people used a lot of the modules but didn't find much helpful. Most of the issues were heat related and mine doesn't run long enough to really get that warm. The base of the distributor is barely warm after it idled for 15 min. the other night. Of course, tonight it's cool out and it won't start at all. Plus it seems that there have been improvements to the product since the Renault posts.

I've reread about the carbon impregnated fiber spark plug wires being recommended. Where the heck do you get a set of these puppies? I'm assuming they would be suitable for a points based set up as well...

I'm gonna switch back over to my old 25D points unit so I can at least drive poor truckie. I miss the pain in my lower back from driving it. :p

kevkon
09-18-2009, 07:00 AM
Can you exchange that distributor for a new one? I forget, is this the one from EBay?
Personally, I think you are far better off with a Pertronix unit, a Crane ( S&S) optical, or good old points. One huge advantage to points is that you can always get going again. Add a good MSD ignition and your engine performance will be as good as it gets.
If you really are dead set on a complete electronic distributor then go for the best , 123 Ignition. It will cost you, though.

SeriesShorty
09-18-2009, 02:00 PM
I bought directly off the simonbbc website and he seems like a decent enough guy to deal with. Worst case scenario, I may see if he can exchange me for a standard 45D points distributor. That'd be cool cause my 25D is fairly worn out. I don't think that I can convert the new electronic unit over to points the way it is set up. It's a shame, it seems to be a really nice piece of equipment, I just don't think my unique electrical set up in my truck is very compatible with it.

I've got a few things I'm gonna try before totally giving up and I may even get some help at the car show tomorrow if I can get it up there. :o