PDA

View Full Version : Series IIA 1966 SWB

sarfu
09-13-2009, 02:50 PM
I am thinking of buying a 1966 Series IIA swb that has been restored, I had the vehicle independently inspected and two things concern me, firstly the LR creaks when going over bumps in the road, secondly the passenger side of the vehicle is misaligned, and is most notable where the door closes, is this potentially a damaged or cracked frame?
Any answers would be appreciated.

Sarfu

kevkon
09-13-2009, 02:59 PM
Are you sure the "passenger side of the vehicle is misaligned" or just the door? If it's the door than it could be improperly adjusted or the hinge pins are excessivly worn. The creaking could be caused by many things including; worn bushings,u-joits, spring pack, some interference between body-suspension-chassis-exhaust system and a few other things. If you frame is cracked it should have been apparent to your independant examiner ( I hope).

Nium
09-13-2009, 05:13 PM
There is a whole cacophony of noises associated with a Series Land Rover. Creaks, groans, and the like. A vehicle that's 43 years old ya kinda have to expect it to make some noises. If it seems like an exceptionally unusual creak would you be able to inquire with the independent inspector as to whether or not it should be a cause for concern? Where does the creak sound like it's coming from?

Not all restorations are preformed equally. Carefully examine the paperwork to ascertain what the restoration entailed. If there isn't any paperwork in reference to the restoration...well take it with a grain of salt that it was preformed to the level you would expect for a restoration.

Series Land Rovers are a lot of fun and very unique vehicles and I'd recommend getting one. :thumb-up:

Cheers!

sarfu
09-13-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks for responses, much appreciated, I see both responders are fairly close to me I am in Point Pleasant, NJ.
I am going to make an offer on this vehicle, the inspection did not raise any major issues except for the creaks( which I suppose should be expected for a LR of this age) and an engine running a little rich( which could be resolved with a thorough tune up ).
The owner is 83 years old and can no longer drive the vehicle, so it has been sitting for a couple months.

Wish me luck,

Sarfu:thumb-up:

sarfu
09-13-2009, 08:15 PM
Here is a picture of the misaligned door.

Thanks,

Sarfu

thixon
09-14-2009, 11:21 AM
sarfu,

We need more photos. That door looks like its just not alligned right, but it could be worse. Bulkhead may have had new door posts installed poorly, making it impossible to adjust the door correctly. I can tell from the photo that the quarter panel has been replaced (pop rivets), and the bottom trim under the door is missing. The paint also looks pretty bad to be a "restored car." How long ago was it done?

Get more photos, and we'll give more answers. Probably more than you'll want!:D

kevkon
09-14-2009, 03:39 PM
Yeah, your photo almost makes it look like there is a major misalignment from the front to rear. but that could be a photo distortion. Take some pics further away and show the whole truck. One from the front looking down the side would be hlpful as well.

Bertha
09-14-2009, 03:58 PM
Here is a picture of the misaligned door.

Thanks,

Sarfu

The door looks to be the least of your problems-that could be an easy fix. The quater panel looks like it has more rivets than an airplane-was it replaced? Also who did the inspection-a "rover guy" or one of those independent inspection companies? What are you paying for the truck? What is your expectation level? Do you have any more pics?

Before you buy anything, I would be happy to show you what to look for if you want to trek up to my house-I am located 50 miles north of NYC in Westchester County and would be happy to give you some tips.

I Leak Oil
09-14-2009, 04:00 PM
If you paid someone to inspect the vehicle for you then they would be more familiar with the particulars of the truck. Why not ask them? If they cannot come up with some answers then they were probably not the right firm to do it in the first place.
The net can be a great place for info but if it it much prefered to have someone get there hands on it like you have already started to do.
Series Rovers make many noises, most can be quickly identified in real life. Aligning panels on a Series Rover is just like panel alignment on any other vehicle.

Bertha
09-14-2009, 04:23 PM
If you paid someone to inspect the vehicle for you then they would be more familiar with the particulars of the truck. Why not ask them? If they cannot come up with some answers then they were probably not the right firm to do it in the first place.
The net can be a great place for info but if it it much prefered to have someone get there hands on it like you have already started to do.
Series Rovers make many noises, most can be quickly identified in real life. Aligning panels on a Series Rover is just like panel alignment on any other vehicle.

+1 well stated

sarfu
09-14-2009, 05:40 PM
You guys are awesome with the responses, most helpful, I am new to this so I used an independent company to inspect the vehicle, it is in Tucson, AZ and the owner is asking $7500.
It is by no means a complete vehicle, the following items are missing,
Front bumper
Both mirrors and arms
Rocker panels on both sides
Rear bench seats
Wipers are with the vehicle but not installed.
owner misplaced the Manufacturers plate when vehicle was painted.
Missing upper door weatherstripping.

Owner is 83 and ran out of steam on this project. I kind of like the idea of finishing her off and making her my own.
What would be a fair price on this? I was thinking of $6000, seeing as it needs a couple grand to finish off, besides a new paint job.

Thanks,

Sarfu

sarfu
09-14-2009, 05:42 PM
Some more pics.

Thanks for input.

Sarfu

crankin
09-14-2009, 07:39 PM
Mn...my heart bleeds for the poor man that cranked those 100 some odd pop rivets into that truck! I certainly believe that they truck has been in a wreck.

My worries are how bad that job might have been done. I am sure that they are not steal pop rivets...but if they are! OH boy, good times for the futuer owner!

kevkon
09-14-2009, 08:27 PM
You guys are awesome with the responses, most helpful, I am new to this so I used an independent company to inspect the vehicle, it is in Tucson, AZ and the owner is asking $7500.
It is by no means a complete vehicle, the following items are missing,
Front bumper
Both mirrors and arms
Rocker panels on both sides
Rear bench seats
Wipers are with the vehicle but not installed.
owner misplaced the Manufacturers plate when vehicle was painted.
Missing upper door weatherstripping.

Owner is 83 and ran out of steam on this project. I kind of like the idea of finishing her off and making her my own.
What would be a fair price on this? I was thinking of $6000, seeing as it needs a couple grand to finish off, besides a new paint job.

Thanks,

Sarfu

I wouldn't much like to be the one fitting the right hand sill.
Misplaced the plate?
Sarfu, you will be paying for a paint job, so why pay twice?
If you really want this LR, I suggest either getting someone who knows Rovers to inspect it or have it inspected by a body shop. You could be looking at a lot more than 2 grand.

amcordo
09-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Hi Sarfu!

I'm a new rover owner as well - I thought I'd jump on this thread and give you some positive reinforcement!

For starts, if you're serious about getting this specific car, then ask yourself what you're going to do with it.

Show car? Then you better have real money and patience to get this thing up to par.

Cool car just to drive around in a turn heads? Not necessarily a bad rover (if a bit over-priced)! IMO the paint job isn't too bad - it fits the character of an old safari truck and the untrained eye will like it. It's got a few parts missing, so you'll eventually need to address some of them (bumper=important, wipers=important) but you can always find ways to cut corners on the smaller issues.

BUT:

All of that being said: I spent about three months quietly watching the various places these rovers are sold at (Craigslist, ebay) to find the one I got at the price I liked. I honestly think that if you take it slow and are willing to travel to pick up the machine that you'll be able to find a less-expensive 88 or 109 that comes with all the stuff this one is missing (maybe some assembly required). I remember stumbling across many Rovers for far less that were in much better condition.

No matter which Rover you find it will feature missing, broken, or ugly parts. For example, I flew 400 miles to get and drive home my 72 SIII 109 for $3,500. It's reliable, came with just about every replacement part in the car, and wasn't in too bad of cosmetic shape. The "downside"? It's an "ugly" - a car that's made up of several different model/make parts. To the untrained eye it's a rover series 3, but to the trained it's part SIIa, SIII, Defender, GM. It starts the first try, spews oil and fluids like a rover/Valdez, and would make the traditionalists on the forum spit if they saw the V8 under the hood :) but it makes me happy!

Also - I spent about $1,000 in appraising four different rovers before I settled.

So to summarize my rambling: if you're like me and are just looking for a machine that looks good to the common person and is very reliable without major noticable issues I would search Craigslist and eBay for a series rover that's more bang for your buck. However, if you're itching to drive it off the lot today then maybe this one's not that bad.

Ebay search: http://motors.shop.ebay.com/Cars-Trucks-/6001/i.html?_nkw=land+rover+series&_catref=1&_dmpt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282&_rdc=1
Craigslist national search: http ://www.searchtempest.com/ (http://www.searchtempest.com/)

sarfu
09-14-2009, 10:58 PM
I have no interest in a perfect, museum quality vehicle that sits and moulders in a garage, I want a Land Rover that can be driven everyday or only on weekends around town, down to the beach etc.
I want something that is mechanically sound with so-so cosmetics that I can work on myself.

Sarfu

Nium
09-14-2009, 11:00 PM
sarfu,
Had you checked the Land Rover Vehicles for Sale (http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=28) forum on this board? You may even find a Landy a little closer to home for less coin in better or comparable condition. I only ask because sometimes people don't realize there is a "For Sale" section of the board.

amcordo that's some good advice. On craigslist there's a 109 that, by the pictures, looks to be in good condition in Philadelphia $10,000. A nice looking 88" 1967 soft top for $6500 obo. in New York.

Unless you are sold on this one Landy you may want to look around at some a little closer to home first to get an idea of what to look for in a Land Rover Series.

Back to the one you are looking at the issues you've posted are a little disconcerting. Misplacing the VIN plate, that does seem kinda fishy. Those look like brand new hinges on the passenger door so it would seem like the door should have been aligned properly. The issue of the rivets along the side have already been touched upon by others.

LaneRover
09-15-2009, 12:03 AM
I bought an older restoration for $5500 that is on a galvanized chassis. The body is beat to hell and it needed about $1000.00 worth of brakes, tie rods a tune up and a little bit of electrical.

I was able to look at it, drive it and so on. I also think that a missing vin plate is a bit fishy, and since you live in Jersey you probably want a galvanized chassis if you would like this Rover to last.

Brent

kevkon
09-15-2009, 07:50 AM
Sarfu, I am all in favor of getting all of these Rovers back to snuff, no matter how hard that may be. However, I have also seen quite a few instances were an owner was unrealistic about just what that takes. And that isn't just about money. Time is the biggest factor. The bottom line here is go for it as long as you know what you are getting into.
Looking at those photos, coupled with a missing ID tag makes me wonder if the original vehicle was extensively damaged and then cobbled together. Just be sure of what you are in for.
Btw, I just saw a 66 swb sell for under $2000 in our area. It was very rough as would be expected. But it was all there. Put a new galv frame and rebuilt engine in it and you are under your budget.

thixon
09-15-2009, 08:13 AM
Sarfu,

Since the offer was extended, I'd highly recommend you pay Bertha a visit. I don't know you, but car guy or not, if you don't have experience with series rovers you'll miss things that are rover specific. By the time I go hold of my first series, i'd already been through hunders of other brit and collector cars. Guess what? I missed a few very important things that I had to end up fixing. I did'nt get rooked, but I could have paid less if I'd know just a little more.

Bertha has a lot of knowledge, and can show you some things in an hour or two that could save you some time, money, and trouble down the road. Plus, IIRC from other posts, Bertha has more than one rover in various stages of completion.

Bertha, sorry if I'm pushing a button you did'nt really want pushed, but if I'd gotten an offer like that when I first bought a series rover, I'd of been off like a shot to your house.:D

Sarfu, if nothing else, you'll learn some things you can use to negotiate the price down.

Nium
09-15-2009, 04:33 PM
VTRover knows where a brand new 1966 88" Series IIA is but he won't tell anyone.

Bertha
09-15-2009, 06:52 PM
Sarfu,

Since the offer was extended, I'd highly recommend you pay Bertha a visit. I don't know you, but car guy or not, if you don't have experience with series rovers you'll miss things that are rover specific. By the time I go hold of my first series, i'd already been through hunders of other brit and collector cars. Guess what? I missed a few very important things that I had to end up fixing. I did'nt get rooked, but I could have paid less if I'd know just a little more.

Bertha has a lot of knowledge, and can show you some things in an hour or two that could save you some time, money, and trouble down the road. Plus, IIRC from other posts, Bertha has more than one rover in various stages of completion.

Bertha, sorry if I'm pushing a button you did'nt really want pushed, but if I'd gotten an offer like that when I first bought a series rover, I'd of been off like a shot to your house.:D

Sarfu, if nothing else, you'll learn some things you can use to negotiate the price down.

Thixon-thanks for the kind words
Sarfu-my offer is standing for anytime you want to take me up on it.
Proceede with caution on this truck-No vin plate and no galv frame is a bad start. Dont spend 6k on a potential headache that you may not be prepared for.

sarfu
09-15-2009, 07:49 PM
Bertha, I appreciate the offer.
I am not going to make an offer on this vehicle, I am not in a hurry, and don't want to make an expensive mistake.
I appreciate all the input.

Sarfu

greenmeanie
09-16-2009, 10:15 AM
If you want a desert truck look at this. Not a lot more and a much better example...
http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/1355658304.html (http://phoenix.craigslist.org/cph/cto/1355658304.html)

Not mine or anyone I am associated with in case you wonder. Just a local(ish) listing

Bostonian1976
09-16-2009, 03:17 PM
VTRover knows where a brand new 1966 88" Series IIA is but he won't tell anyone.

what?

Nium
09-16-2009, 03:32 PM
Bostonian1976,

I did leave a few words off that sentence. I should have written...

VTRover knows where a brand new 1966 88" Series IIA is but he won't tell anyone where it is.

Even if he did come clean and say where it is I'm sure it's not for sale, probably just a show truck.

If you hadn't seen the thread VTRover started check it out "How about a brand new one". Right now it's just a few threads down.

Eric W S
09-25-2009, 10:36 AM
Bostonian1976,

I did leave a few words off that sentence. I should have written...

VTRover knows where a brand new 1966 88" Series IIA is but he won't tell anyone where it is.

Even if he did come clean and say where it is I'm sure it's not for sale, probably just a show truck.

If you hadn't seen the thread VTRover started check it out "How about a brand new one". Right now it's just a few threads down.

If memeory serves me correctly, that is a Series rover that LRNA had restored. It's not a "new" 1966 SWB. The location looks like LRNA HQ as others have said.

If it's the same truck, they had it out at Land Rover University which is outside of Chicago years back. It's an OK restoration. Ike has done much better.

Hell, Knauz, a LR dealer in Lake Forest IL, has an equally impressive collection, Mainly because the dealer group is Jag/LR/Benz/and a few more. Lots of nice restored cars. And they use Unimogs as snow ploughs in the winter.