PDA

View Full Version : Front Bearing Noise?

mobjak
09-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Hello All,

First post, so forgive me if I leave out any essentials.

'02 Discovery with about 105k and in overall good condition.

I have started to hear a low rumble when driving the car at low speeds and turning to the left. It has what I would call a bearing going bad kind of sound.:(

I have just jacked the front end up and put the vehicle on jack stands.
While the car is up and I shake the front left wheel left and right, I hear a small clunk and I think this is coming from the trailing arm that attaches to the axle and the frame(trailing arm is probably wrong) attached img shows arm and it clunks at the frame end.

Should the bushing be replaced and can it contribute to the rumble?

If this is a bearing issue, I have not found any threads on replacing the bearings on a 02 discovery?

I have done many other cars/SUVs, how hard is a front bearing replacement?

Also, I go out on the beach with this LR frequently and dip the rear end in salt water a lot while launching a boat so I would like to re-pack bearing anually if possible and feasible.

TIA

Joey4420
09-13-2009, 07:58 PM
Could be a bad CV joint, or if you haven't changed your U-joints on your front driveshaft they may be bad.

solihull109
09-20-2009, 07:23 PM
The bushings may be worn, but I doubt that would cause the noise you describe. However, it does sound like your CV.
As far as " repacking" the bearings on your D2, nada. They're sealed units and are $$ when compared to earlier Rovers....

Colorado Rover
09-30-2009, 05:26 PM
The bushing could make such a clunk. I would start looking at the CV first to isolate noice. Typically you can turn wheel to right and drive in circle. If you get clunking the CV is typically bad. Also do this to left. As for the bushing, I will say this - I have a F350 that was giving me a rattle up front. It finally turned out to be the sway bar rubber bushing on the front axle. THey got comressed and let the sway bar slide. I replaced and 2 moths later same thing. This time I slid in a piece of radiator hose cut to lay flat. No problems since.

I have not looked at ht eDisco hub per se, but my 350 also has a sealed hub unit. On the exterior it looks very similar. While I am told this is not serviceable, it can be done by removing a collar nut and repacking the bearing with a new bearing. However, if the races are damaged they are milled into the hub --> ne whub is the fix.