PDA

View Full Version : 2.25L Speedy Sleeve for front crank pulley

TJR
09-15-2009, 08:41 PM
Assuming one exists.. does anyone have the 2.25L Ser III Speedy Sleeve part number for the front crank pulley ? Thanks... Talbot

Nium
09-15-2009, 09:31 PM
Hey TJR,

You need to measure the shaft to get the right sleeve. The catalog is...

http://www.skf.com/files/344136.pdf

There are instructions in the catalog on how to pick the right size Speedi-Sleeve. It's a product of SKF www.skf.com (http://www.skf.com)

Hope that's what you were lookin for.

jac04
09-16-2009, 07:23 AM
IIRC, Rovers North has them available as well.

TSR53
09-16-2009, 08:07 AM
Available from stock...
Land Rover Series front crank pulley stainless steel speedi-sleeve
http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-2490-speedi-sleeve-crankshaft.aspx

TJR
09-18-2009, 06:11 PM
Thanks everyone for the info!!

TJR
11-02-2009, 08:02 AM
LR 2.25L front crank pulley speedie sleeve install

I purchased the front crank pulley Speedi Sleeve several weeks ago from RN .. I wanted to install it last night, but I have run into two potential issues.

1). If the sleeve is driven all the way down the pulley shaft to where the diameter steps up, it looks as thought the lip seal may not actually run on the new sleeve? (based on wear marks from the prior seal.)

If the sleeve needs to be mid span down the shaft, I assume all I need to do is remove the sleeve lower lip per the instructions.

2.) If I am requires to run the sleeve all the way to the stepped diameter, the seal driver provided is too short and does not reach far enough down before bottoming out on the pulley shaft. Grrr…!

So… I guess I'll have to wait until I get the motor re-assembled. That way I can install the new timing cover seal , grease it up and let it indicate where the seal actually runs on the pulley shaft and go from there??

Other ideas or comments? ...Talbot

gudjeon
11-02-2009, 09:07 PM
You seem to be on the right track there. The speedi sleeve needs to reside somewhere in the middle of the worn portion to be effective as a renewed surface. Yes, the driver supplies is inadequate. I use a piece of pipe/tubing as a driver that will let you reach down where it should go.

The flange that facilitates the driver that normally tears away can be left in place provided it doesn't foul anything being left there. We always used to leave the peel away portion in place when possible because sometimes removing it did more harm than good.

Another good thing to do is use something like JB Weld to fill the groove and install the sleeve before it cures. This stuff fills in the groove so the seal won't eventually form an impression of the old groove into the new sleeve.

Good luck. These work great with a bit of attention to detail. Every pinion and front pulley on my rig have them. At least it doesn't leak from there.:thumb-up:

TJR
11-02-2009, 09:46 PM
At least it doesn't leak from there.:thumb-up:

...:) Yeah.. I figured it was cheap insurance too.

I was planning to use "Indian Head shellack" as a filler , sealant and lubricant as I installed it.. Isn't JB weld that really thick epoxy dough? Does it really conform ok?

gudjeon
11-03-2009, 01:30 PM
Jb has the consistency of epoxy. It flows slowly before it cures. Just need a tough filler to put in between the groove and the sleeve.:thumb-up: