PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Leaking

vansdonk
09-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Well, we had some pretty hot weather a few months back (90*). And I went out to the garage and there was a hugh puddle of oil under the driver side, front tire. And a very small one under the pass. front. This truck is sorta new to us and I doubt that anything has actually been changed on it. We are slowly replacing worn out parts. Now before this happened, it was being driven almost everyday to work, just 4 miles there. And it run great. Now, I'm afraid to move it 'cause I don't know how much fluid is left. I need it out of the garage so I can put rock sliders, front bumper, MG hood, and some other parts in there when the UPS man arrives. Yes we ordered the hub and swivel kits. I just want to move it out of the gargage and behind the back gait-not far. Without getting into a big mess, how can I make sure there is enough fluid. Hopefully my husband will be home sometime in October-subject to change at the last minute- and we will attack this issue then.:confused:

LaneRover
09-18-2009, 01:24 PM
My guess is that moving it the small amount you want to in order to get it out of the garage won't hurt it at all. If you want to add a bit of oil then on the back of each swivel is a square plug that cab be taken off to add oil to the hubs. Since both sides leaked out at once I would check to see if your pressure valve which is on top of the axle is clogged.

Brent

thixon
09-18-2009, 01:24 PM
Define a "huge" amount of oil. Does it appear that this oil leaked from the swivel balls, or do you think it leaked from somewhere else? You make it sound as if its from the swivels. If it is, then you'd be fine to move the truck the short distance you describe.

If you think for any reason the oil came from somewhere else, then pipe up and let us know. Obviously if you suspect its engine oil, or brake fluid, you would'nt want to crank or drive it.

Bottom line, we need more info.

vansdonk
09-18-2009, 01:38 PM
Ok, more info. No it isn't engine oil nor brake fluid. Res levels good. It's really hard to tell where it is coming from. It is all over the lower half of the wheel, arms, none on the outside of wheel. none on swivel itself. Just typical signs of leaking from diff, just no actual loss. Hugh would be: 1'- 1 1/2' in front of tire, 6" outside tire (on ground), about 8-12" inside of tire (on ground), and 11-1 1/2' behind tire. Pass side was about 1/3 of that amount. There was enough oil on ground to put fingers in and get a good sample for clarity. I have to start it, I cannot push the thing around (110lbs). I have to move it about 100'. If I saw this puddle under any of the aircraft, it's a definate downer. But the old rover doesn't catch lift, so just thought I'd ask.

thixon
09-18-2009, 03:27 PM
100'? If it were me, I'd move it without a thought. You should be fine.

Nium
09-18-2009, 04:07 PM
If your Landy is a Left Hand Drive then the steering relay box or the steering box itself or both could be leaking both are filled with 90W.

Regards

willincalgary
09-18-2009, 08:01 PM
Ok, more info. No it isn't engine oil nor brake fluid. Res levels good. It's really hard to tell where it is coming from. It is all over the lower half of the wheel, arms, none on the outside of wheel. none on swivel itself. Just typical signs of leaking from diff, just no actual loss. Hugh would be: 1'- 1 1/2' in front of tire, 6" outside tire (on ground), about 8-12" inside of tire (on ground), and 11-1 1/2' behind tire. Pass side was about 1/3 of that amount. There was enough oil on ground to put fingers in and get a good sample for clarity. I have to start it, I cannot push the thing around (110lbs). I have to move it about 100'. If I saw this puddle under any of the aircraft, it's a definate downer. But the old rover doesn't catch lift, so just thought I'd ask.

My father once drove my truck about 4km (that's 2.25 miles for people clinging to antiquated measurement units!) after forgetting to fill the swivels. All low speed around town. Haven't seen any negative effects.