PDA

View Full Version : Pulling stuck vehicles

superstator
09-18-2009, 06:56 PM
Since acquiring my Rover, I've found myself in a couple of situations where someone in a lesser vehicle was stuck, and noticed a sign painted on my truck that says "Free Vehicle Extractions". I've never been able to find this sign myself, but it must be there.

Anyway, I'm happy to oblige, but this has always made me nervous. With another Rover or Jeep or whatever that has obvious recovery points, or at least a nice strong ladder frame exposed, it's pretty easy. But I'm talking about the Honda Civic that didn't quite make it to the ski area, or the Volkswagen that missed a turn and landed in a muddy field. I know there are some definite do's and don'ts for putting a recovery strap on such a vehicle, but I've never been real clear on what they actually are. What do you look for, both as spots to use and spots to avoid, assuming that there's no frame member to use, no user manual to consult, and the other driver has no clue.

TeriAnn
09-18-2009, 07:35 PM
Anyway, I'm happy to oblige, but this has always made me nervous. With another Rover or Jeep or whatever that has obvious recovery points, or at least a nice strong ladder frame exposed, it's pretty easy. But I'm talking about the Honda Civic that didn't quite make it to the ski area, or the Volkswagen that missed a turn and landed in a muddy field. I know there are some definite do's and don'ts for putting a recovery strap on such a vehicle, but I've never been real clear on what they actually are. What do you look for, both as spots to use and spots to avoid, assuming that there's no frame member to use, no user manual to consult, and the other driver has no clue.

I ALWAYS have the owner of the other vehicle attach the winch line to their own vehicle. I feel doing it myself is just asking for a lawsuit. I then inspect it myself to make sure it is safe for my vehicle and provide any warning if I think one is warranted. I also tell them that I am not responsible for any damage that might occour to their vehicle as a result of trying to extract it. I also have them watch and ask them to yell out if they think I should stop pulling. The more the other person participates the more responsibility they feel for the effort.

And if the person is not being nice or strikes me as potentially dangerous I reserve the right to drive off without helping.

SafeAirOne
09-18-2009, 08:50 PM
TeriAnn has some good advice, but I personally prefer watching people do it this way:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw_vcM7bynA

willincalgary
09-18-2009, 09:10 PM
Check this one out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XSxlXwf_oo

TJR
09-19-2009, 08:37 AM
If you hadn't posted that jeep one I would have.. Both of those videos are so sad for the owner... The jeep front axle is a major suspension mess up!!!!

msggunny
09-19-2009, 08:54 AM
If you hadn't posted that jeep one I would have.. Both of those videos are so sad for the owner... The jeep front axle is a major suspension mess up!!!!

If you have seen the way the suspension ties into the uni-body on a cherokee you wouldn't be surprised....

Full frame is the only way to go, and even then its not a cure all for stupidity.

NepentheSea
09-22-2009, 09:38 AM
Most cars Ive seen have a point thats good to attach to under the rear, to one side of the frame. Ive never seen anything to attach to in the front, and the bumpers usually sit so low that the tow strap can flex the plastic bumper up and pop it off. I had an Acura that I got stuck in a sandy parking lot and had to get a guy in a Jeep to pull me out. Hooking up to the car in the back was no problem, but the front wheel drive had sunk the front bumper down to the sand. So when he pulled me out the bumper dug the sand and pulled right off. It was great.

I wouldnt put a hook into the frame-
http://infocog.wordpress.com/2007/10/27/im-sure-there-is-a-story-behind-this/
Instead, look for something like this- It will usually keep the tow strap clear of the rear bumper too.
http://media.photobucket.com/image/acura%20tow%20hook/mrdeath/IMG_1404.jpg

I Leak Oil
09-22-2009, 11:23 AM
When it comes to that stuck Honda or VW that missed the turn or didn't make it up the hill to the ski area the best recovery tool you can use is a cell phone! Seriously, call a tow truck. They have the equipment, knowledge(sometimes) and most importantly, the INSURANCE to make these types of recovery. 20 years ago I would have been willing to extract a perfect stranger from a mild stuck situation but not these days....

Leslie
09-22-2009, 02:28 PM
I've never got my Subaru stuck, but since it's an Impreza, it isn't like it has loads of ground clearance, is more akin to a Civic than a Series..... for the front, there's a small square on the bumper that can be popped out; in the bag w/ the jack handle and other tools is an eye that can be screwed into the socket exposed behind that little square, it's an emergency recovery point for such an event. I don't know, but think, that Hondas and the like should have something akin to that to use......

I've never been stopped as such, but once, my wife was stopped while driving in a Cherokee (similar to the one in the video above), with them expecting her to have all the gear to help... there wasn't anything at all in the vehicle, though, and the other vehicle had naught, too, so there was nothing she could do....

LaneRover
09-22-2009, 02:53 PM
When it comes to that stuck Honda or VW that missed the turn or didn't make it up the hill to the ski area the best recovery tool you can use is a cell phone! Seriously, call a tow truck. They have the equipment, knowledge(sometimes) and most importantly, the INSURANCE to make these types of recovery. 20 years ago I would have been willing to extract a perfect stranger from a mild stuck situation but not these days....

I am still willing to help someone but I think that Terri-Ann has great advice on how she helps. Kind of like the Coast Guard expecting you to throw a rope to them and not vice-versa.

Brent

I Leak Oil
09-22-2009, 06:20 PM
While that provides some protection, it is still your vehicle that's pulling it out and causing any damage. There are plenty of courts that will make you liable for it. And if the other person gets injured...you're up a creek for sure.

JimCT
09-22-2009, 06:55 PM
So many folks that are stuck have no clue where to attach anything. If you want to help, help, use your knowledge and experience to find the best recovery point, tel them the risk and do it. Hate to think life is lead worrying about lawyers.

LaneRover
09-22-2009, 07:09 PM
Hate to think life is lead worrying about lawyers.

I agree completely

I understand I Leak Oil's reluctance but at some point you can't just think about lawyers. Besides, these days you could probably be sued for not helping!

TJR
09-22-2009, 10:14 PM
these days you could probably be sued for not helping!

This is the same mentality that amazes me...

http://www.wsbt.com/news/national/60187332.html

Rineheitzgabot
09-23-2009, 07:09 AM
While that provides some protection, it is still your vehicle that's pulling it out and causing any damage. There are plenty of courts that will make you liable for it. And if the other person gets injured...you're up a creek for sure.

Teriann's advice does not protect you, and I don't think she thinks that either. However, what it does do is make the other party think a little about the situation before actually doing it.

I'm with the people that say don't worry about the lawyers. Lane's right, there's probably some court on the west coast that would find you guilty for NOT helping.

Thought: Is it possible have a release form that gives some protection from this sort of thing? Can I have a form stashed in my car that I and the other party sign and date that relieves me from any damage to the vehicle?

Just a thought. For those who are always wheeling, it is possible to have dozens of people per year that would want to be pulled out.

I Leak Oil
09-23-2009, 11:22 AM
I agree completely

I understand I Leak Oil's reluctance but at some point you can't just think about lawyers. Besides, these days you could probably be sued for not helping!

It's far from just thinking about lawyers. A car is stuck in the snow. No one is at risk of injury, just inconvenienced. Calling a tow truck serves two purposes. First, it delivers someone with the knowledge and equipment (and as I said, the insurance) to do the job. Having a Land Rover with a tow strap or a winch does not make you qualified to do a recovery. Second, maybe having to spend a little coin might make the person think about how they're driving a little more.
There is a difference between being crippled by thoughts of lawyers and being smart about the situation. Of course you help if someone is at risk of injury. That's where most good samaritan laws will protect you, not in the case of pulling someone's stuck Honda out of a snow drift.

scott
09-23-2009, 11:55 AM
after reading these post i have concluded the best course of action is to be the stuckee and not the unsticker. so i'm going to push my 88 harder and faster than everyone else so that i get stuck first and am never put in the position of having to do the pulling

LaneRover
09-23-2009, 12:55 PM
It's far from just thinking about lawyers. A car is stuck in the snow. No one is at risk of injury, just inconvenienced. Calling a tow truck serves two purposes. First, it delivers someone with the knowledge and equipment (and as I said, the insurance) to do the job. Having a Land Rover with a tow strap or a winch does not make you qualified to do a recovery. Second, maybe having to spend a little coin might make the person think about how they're driving a little more.
There is a difference between being crippled by thoughts of lawyers and being smart about the situation. Of course you help if someone is at risk of injury. That's where most good samaritan laws will protect you, not in the case of pulling someone's stuck Honda out of a snow drift.

Very good points! I must admit I was thinking more about a car in a risky area.

gudjeon
09-24-2009, 12:13 PM
If its in snow/mud, I pull out the shovels I keep in the back and tell them to start digging. Funny how I don't get asked much anymore.:thumb-up:

LaneRover
09-24-2009, 01:39 PM
If its in snow/mud, I pull out the shovels I keep in the back and tell them to start digging. Funny how I don't get asked much anymore.:thumb-up:

I have an old 73 Ford P-up. When people ask if they can borrow it I say sure! Then I tell them that it doesn't have power steering or AC, the windows don't roll down well, the gas gauge doesn't work . . . . . . it is about there that they realize that I don't necessarily come along when they borrow my p-up and they usually say, nevermind. Those that still want to borrow it are usually good friends that I trust with my p-up or that I don't mind helping.