PDA

View Full Version : Lucas 25D Distributor Rebuild

Nium
09-19-2009, 06:53 PM
I have been trying to find a good document on rebuilding the Lucas 25D distributor outfitted on Series Land Rovers. I've searched high and low. Looked at UK websites, Aussie sites, Mini sites, and US sites without much luck. I'm gonna chuckle if someone points out something that would be analogous to just out the back door. I've looked in the Green Bible. I don't know if I'd call the Green Bible a good document it is always a helpful resource though. In that same light I've also been trying to find a technical schematic for the 25D.

Any suggestions on where to look on rebuilding this dizzy. I imagine I could do it without much ado, but I always like to have a reference if one is available.

Thanks and Best Regards

kevkon
09-19-2009, 07:32 PM
Hey Walker, what do you mean by "re-building"? If you just want to take it apart , clean it, and put it back together, then I'd say it's pretty straightforward. Take apart the contact plate, the vacuum advance ,drift out the gear pin and remove the shaft with the mech. advance. Clean it up and re-aasemble. If you are looking for a true re-build that requires a distributor testing machine to check it dynamically.

Nium
09-19-2009, 08:52 PM
Hello Kevin,

I would like to be able to check that the cam isn't excessively worn so I'd want the specs on what it is suppose to be. To be able to check what the advance spring free length should be. What the bearing bush dimensions originally are so as to be able to determine if replacement is necessary. What weight the weights are suppose to weigh. I don't know nit picky stuff like that.

I had come across the article "Tuning the Lucas Distributor" (if you are interested http://www.teglerizer.com/mgstuff/lucastuning.pdf) and at the beginning of the article it said that the repair and rebuild of the dizzy was adequately covered elsewhere and wouldn't be covered in the article. Well it piqued my interest to find where it was adequately covered and I wasn't having very good results in my quest for that information.

The "Tuning" article just made me want to know more about the dizzy. I may not even use the information if I find it but I certainly won't if I don't.

Do you have a dynamic distributor tester? :cool: Could I borrow it? Jus kidding.

kevkon
09-19-2009, 09:39 PM
Unfortunately I don't have a distributor testing machine anymore. Setting up a distributor on one effectively answers all of your questions as any deviations show right up. It's the very best way to get a distributor set up correctly, especially the advance curve and the weights and springs required.