PDA

View Full Version : Steering Relay

Jim-ME
09-20-2009, 05:12 AM
What tool/method do folks use to add 90W oil from the bottle and into the steering relay?
Jim

stomper
09-20-2009, 06:04 AM
I did this just yesterday. Used a bottle with the pointed tip, also known as a "yorker" bottle. Place your index finger over the tip of the bottle, and invert the bottle. line it up over the filler hole, and then release your finger. you will miss a few drops, but it worked quite well. Even though I buy the oil by the gallow, these bottles are worth hanging onto, and refilling as necissary. My steering box appears to be leaking down the inside of the left fender, behind the wheel, so I decided to check the level. it was down quite a bit. Now I have to figure out how to stop it from leaking.

Nium
09-20-2009, 10:25 AM
In addition to using a bottle with a pointed tip get a length of clear vinyl tubing of sufficent diameter to still fit in the hole on steering box but large enough for the 90W to flow freely. Shove the pointed tip of the bottle into the tubing put the other end of the tubing into the steering box hole and invert bottle. Helps to have the 90W warm so it flows better. This method works very well to fill transmission too.

Or get a funnel with a flexible spout from the auto parts store.

Regards

greenmeanie
09-20-2009, 10:33 AM
The two screws you remove from the steering relay to add oil are somewhere between a #10 and a 1/4" You won't get oil to flow through a vinyl tube that fits those.

The yorker bottle works but can be messy if you get it wrong. I've got a big plastic syringe that I think came in a bicycle brake bleeding kit. Just pull the screws and slowly squirt it in.

SeriesShorty
09-20-2009, 11:17 AM
I've used a drinking straw before on the tip of the bottle and the oil actually flowed fairly ok. Not ideal, but worked when desperate. :p

I Leak Oil
09-20-2009, 03:24 PM
A standard trigger style oil can works fine.

Jim-ME
09-20-2009, 03:42 PM
That's what I ended up buying and it works very well.
Jim

allende
09-22-2009, 10:22 PM
How do you get the top nut off with the control arm in the way?

scott
09-22-2009, 10:26 PM
i removed the control arm. the bolt that camps it on needs to be completely removed.

Leslie
09-23-2009, 02:24 PM
For smaller things, I have one of those aforementioned trigger-pump oil cans w/ a long adjustable neck. For larger amounts of oil (i.e., 90wt into a diff), I have a giant 'syringe' with a bit of hose on the end... pull out the handle to draw in the oil, stick the hose to the diff fill opening, and press the lever in to squirt the oil in. Found both at Tractor Supply.....

I Leak Oil
09-23-2009, 02:41 PM
I usually turn the steering wheel until the arm is clear. Remove one bolt, turn the wheel some more until another bolt is clear and remove it (so the air can escape while filling). I haven't found a need to remove the steering arm.

Andrew IIA
09-24-2009, 10:37 AM
I usually turn the steering wheel until the arm is clear. Remove one bolt, turn the wheel some more until another bolt is clear and remove it (so the air can escape while filling). I haven't found a need to remove the steering arm.
This is what I do also; only need to move the arm a little bit for clearance.

Regards, Andrew
'63 SIIA 88" SW

daveb
09-24-2009, 02:16 PM
ditto

A standard trigger style oil can works fine.