PDA

View Full Version : Buying a Discovery II

AeroSynch
09-21-2009, 02:18 PM
I have been looking at Discovery IIs lately, and really want to buy one to become my daily driver from and to work, but also a trail rig on occasion.

Tomorrow I am going to go look at a 2000 Discovery II with 83K miles, for $4100. I think that is a good price.

Anything I should look out for? Let me know, as I really want to buy it if all goes well. Then I will look for a job and begin the modifying.

(This will be my second car, so I am fairly new at this)

:thumb-up:

Joey4420
09-21-2009, 07:24 PM
Lots of things to check for... the biggest IMHO are U-joints on the front drive shaft (they don't have grease fittings and either should already be replaced or will need it)

S-Belt, hoses, brakes. Odd noises while it is driving... best thing in my opinion is to take a Rover person with you to look it over if possible.

BackInA88
09-22-2009, 05:58 AM
Find out if the head gaskets have been replaced.
If not plan on either doing it or paying someone to do in the future.
Spark plug wires are a pain to change but it doable.

Steve

AeroSynch
09-24-2009, 07:11 PM
So I went to look at it, and liked it except for two things.

First of all, when I FLOORED the Discovery II, it was super slow. Like, no acceleration, and I kept flooring it until 40mph which it then lost a bit of power, but then regained it. Owner said that it seems like it is flooding or something. Also, check engine light was on the whole time, disappeared when power lost, and reappeared afterward.

Second thing, are these the Three Amigos? (TC, ABS, and HC)
Is this a BAD thing?

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa297/AeroSynch/Photo158.jpg

Besides that, transmission felt good, and 4Lo worked.

I will upload a video of the engine running for 20 seconds, and will upload it quickly.

Opinions please!

Joey4420
09-25-2009, 04:43 PM
Without knowing what codes are being stored not much to say. ABS i.e. 3 amigos could be a simple brake dust issue to a ABS modulator (big bucks) or ABS sensors... without taking it to a dealer and spending the minimal look over feel, not sure I would buy it unless you are good with rovers or know someone who is.

AeroSynch
09-25-2009, 07:16 PM
Without knowing what codes are being stored not much to say. ABS i.e. 3 amigos could be a simple brake dust issue to a ABS modulator (big bucks) or ABS sensors... without taking it to a dealer and spending the minimal look over feel, not sure I would buy it unless you are good with rovers or know someone who is.

I scrapped that one, too many issues. Tomorrow I am going to look at another 2000 Disco II with 89K. I will test drive it, and compare. Hopefully this doesn't have the same issues...

stu454
09-25-2009, 08:06 PM
Keep at it. There are enough out there that you can be picky.