PDA

View Full Version : Land Rover Series III Bucking/Stutter Step

gzarembo
09-21-2009, 10:34 PM
I have a 1972 Land Rover Series III and the other day I went wheeling on a local trail, engaged 4 wheel hubs in high range fine, unlocked fine, the next day I noticed that when I took off there was a bucking almost a stutter step. When I accelerate and rev high I can manage to put it in fine, thus wearing down things that don't need to damaged. When I ease into it, its bucking at one stop and not at another. Any ideas what it could be?

SafeAirOne
09-21-2009, 11:51 PM
I have a 1972 Land Rover Series III and the other day I went wheeling on a local trail, engaged 4 wheel hubs in high range fine, unlocked fine, the next day I noticed that when I took off there was a bucking almost a stutter step. When I accelerate and rev high I can manage to put it in fine, thus wearing down things that don't need to damaged. When I ease into it, its bucking at one stop and not at another. Any ideas what it could be?

Your description is a bit confusing--Do you have locking hubs, where you get out of the rover and lock each hub in the front, get back in, and engage 4 wheel drive by pushing the yellow knob down, or are you just pushing the yellow knob down and don't have locking hubs?

When you rev high, what do you manage to put it in fine? The transmission into first gear or the transfer case into 4 high or...?

Without clarification, it could be anything from a worn or oily clutch plate/disc to bad universal joints to being stuck in 4 wheel drive to an engine misfire.

gzarembo
09-22-2009, 10:19 PM
I have locking hubs, going out and locking them and then going back in the car pressing the yellow knob, there could be a possibility of when I engaged 2 wheel last time I never pulled the knob up. not sure if that would change anything.
I notice the bucking when I shift it into first, and notice somewhat of a bucking going from 1st to 2nd and then 2nd to 3rd there is no problem.
I was worried there wasn't enough gear oil so I topped it off today as well I took off the plow mount cause I thought it was the loose bolts, it wasn't. There is a little play in the drive shaft but nothing to warrant a bucking within it, still bucking and no idea..any suggestions?
thanks

Nium
09-23-2009, 12:07 AM
Could be a slipping clutch or oil on the clutch disk.

What happens when you stand on the brakes and slowly let out the clutch with it engaged in gear, as a diagnostic test. Does it only stall out when the clutch is nearly fully engaged or when you have only but let out on the clutch a little?

When you are traveling at speed do you some times notice the engine revs higher with applied accelerator pedal but the Landy doesn't seem to speed up immediately?

Is there oil coming out of the hole on the bottom of the bell housing?

When was the last time you replaced the clutch disk and pressure plate?

To disengage from 4x4 high I thought you had to move the red lever from high to low then back to high to cause the yellow knob to pop up. You stated you hadn't pulled the knob up the last time you disengaged 4x4. I'm confused.

Cheers!