PDA

View Full Version : front output shaft leak

bmohan55
09-22-2009, 08:49 AM
Recently developed a decent leak from the front output shaft. Reading thru the green bible they show replacing the seal with the transfer case out. Can one replace the oil seal with the transfer case in place?

greenmeanie
09-22-2009, 10:17 AM
That's an easy one. The seal sits in its own housing on the end of the front transfer case. You can take the housing off, install the seal on the bench and then remount it.

bmohan55
09-22-2009, 12:27 PM
thanks, that good news. Is it a Rover specfic seal or can NAPA match it up?

greenmeanie
09-22-2009, 12:54 PM
NAPA will be able to order it. If you want to make life simple pull it off, measure the output flange seal land, the housing ID and the seal thickness. With that info you can go to the SFK website and cross reference it yourself to the Chicago Rawhide part #.A double lip seal is a good idea in this location.

bmohan55
09-22-2009, 01:27 PM
thanks, actually just got off another LR site with a great cross-reference of common seals, bearings, ect. it's Chicago Rawhide # CR16254 or Federa Mogul 450194. Gotta love the internet!

SafeAirOne
09-22-2009, 01:28 PM
NAPA will be able to order it. If you want to make life simple pull it off, measure the output flange seal land, the housing ID and the seal thickness. With that info you can go to the SFK website and cross reference it yourself to the Chicago Rawhide part #.A double lip seal is a good idea in this location.

or...or, you could look on Teri Ann's site (http://www.expeditionlandrover.info/LRpartNumbers.htm#seals).

I'll save you some time here. I just went through the same process--I botched up my rear output seal replacement job last week (same seal p/n as front output) and had to get another seal. I called my local NAPA, who could get the part (http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(jx3xaozhu1rphdykqx2bzv45))/Detail.aspx?R=NOS16254_0215778700) in 3 or 4 days. It cost $15.69 plus shipping (plus tax if you live in a sales tax state).

UPS just delivered a genuine seal from Rovers North a half hour ago. I ordered it yesterday and it cost me $2.48 + shipping. Crazy, eh?

bmohan55
09-22-2009, 01:48 PM
convinced me...always want to support our hosts anyways! Ring ring ring.