PDA

View Full Version : Layshaft Type - Series IIA

JackIIA
09-22-2009, 01:00 PM
Where is the part number on the Layshaft?

For instance, on the Mainshaft, the part number is engraved on the raised groove midway on the shaft.

By way of background, I've tried 2 new pinions with matched gears. Neither matched gears wants to fit on the layshaft. That brings me to my erason for the question.

I'm now suspecting that the layshaft isn't a C series. To confirm that, I obviously need the part number. I find it hard to believe Land Rover wouldn't scroll it on there somewhere. Maybe I need to spend another 40 minutes looking for it?

Thanks!

Les Parker
09-22-2009, 03:39 PM
Is there any exterior serial numbers on the rear of the g.box or t.box?

:confused:

JackIIA
09-23-2009, 12:30 AM
Hey Les.

Yes, it's a C-suffix gearbox. In addition, the mainshaft engraved number is 264250HTM. Don't know what the "HTM" stands for, but the numbers indicate it's a suffix C mainshaft.

That said, I've tried 2 different (supposedly C suffix) constant gears. Neither will fit on the layshaft. The gearbox was purchased as a refurbishment from parts unknown by the previous owner. He mixed and matched enough major stuff on the truck that I wouldn't stake much on the suffix stamp.

I guess I could reuse the constant gear and pinion that was originally in the gear box. The constant gear has some wear, not a ton, but some. I just thought it made sense to switch out these hardworking components while I had things apart, so I don't have to do so later. Thanks for any suggestions.

I Leak Oil
09-23-2009, 04:55 AM
Suffix C (IIa) boxes can be made to use the Suff. D and up lay shaft. It is possible you have a C box and someone put in a D or E lay shaft. I'm not sure if the components going on to the shaft are different though.

JackIIA
09-23-2009, 10:32 AM
Suffix C (IIa) boxes can be made to use the Suff. D and up lay shaft. It is possible you have a C box and someone put in a D or E lay shaft. I'm not sure if the components going on to the shaft are different though.

That is a good thought. It could be. Any way to visually tell the different suffixes of IIA layshafts apart?