PDA

View Full Version : New seats

LRMAN
09-22-2009, 01:30 PM
I searched the archive and found a photo of a rover looking seat but with a headrest. Looks much better than the Exmoor Extreme. I do not see it in the catalog here. Does anyone know where I can get this seat?

Thanks

http://www.roversnorth.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1005&d=1216349992

xsbowes
09-23-2009, 02:11 AM
That's more than likely sold by Britpart. Part number MRC6982H. Its the deluxe series seat with headrest hence the H on the end of the part number. Atlantic British is a US distributor for britpart.

greenmeanie
09-23-2009, 11:25 AM
You might want to talk to Thixon about that type of seat. IIRC the retention of the head rest mount in the seat back is rather dubious so when your head hits the rest it forces the mounting forward into your back.

I could be wrong but if you do a search on seats it was mentioned in a thread a while ago.

LRMAN
09-23-2009, 01:22 PM
Thanks Meanie. I found that post. Back to the drawing board.

luckyjoe
09-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Actually there are two version of this seat. One with a metal post to support the heard-rest, the other with a metal sheet that has more surface area on the seatback. The post type was questionable in rear-ender accidents. I do have a LR p/n somewhere, I'll post it ASAP...

Regardless, neither one is still made, so you're left to find what you can.

Regards,

luckyjoe
09-24-2009, 07:50 AM
The LR Deluxe High back seat-back was p/n MRC6981.

RN used to sell it: http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-11112-seat-back-wheadrest-series-iia-iii.aspx

Regards,

LRMAN
09-24-2009, 08:36 AM
It appears that Britpart still makes this seat back(MRC6982H, H for headrest). I am working with their US distributor to determine if the seats still have an issue with the headrest posts. Their website claims that they conform to safety standards but I need to be sure considering they are a special order.

LRMAN
09-24-2009, 09:23 AM
Britpart has responded that the headrest is attached to a metal plate and is not adjustable. My next issue would be is the headrest high enough for me(6ft.) or my wife(5'10").

greenmeanie
09-24-2009, 10:23 AM
Just so you have fair warning and can't complain later. Google Britpart and consider their reputation before spliting with your hard earned money.

luckyjoe
09-24-2009, 10:29 AM
If you need measurements, I have a set.

Regards,

LRMAN
09-24-2009, 10:35 AM
Just so you have fair warning and can't complain later. Google Britpart and consider their reputation before spliting with your hard earned money.

I know Meanie. I am not anxious to order them. I would prefer a set of defender seats but they are very expensive and hard to come by. Or I may just buy new here.

http://www.roversnorth.com/store/p-16107-front-defender-seat-assembly-with-adjustable-frame-left-hand-black-vinyl.aspx

One other option would be to get a nice set of original seats and fabricate a headrest off the bulkhead or a rollbar.

greenmeanie
09-24-2009, 11:51 AM
There are plenty of seats that fit well without spending huge coin. Making an adapter is easy if you can cut sheet metal and drill a few holes.

I personally use Bestop Jeep seats but a few measurements and a trip to the scrappy will yield something. I am sure others can provide info on what they have used.

LRMAN
09-24-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks Meanie. I am quite adept at fabrication. I have built a few Triumph race cars and done some restorations. I also own my own marine services business where I do a lot of fabrication.

My goal is to get a seat that is close to original but with the added safety of a headrest. That is why I like the look of the seat in the first post.

This is my wife's baby and it will only be driven occasionally so long term comfort is not much of a factor.

TedW
09-24-2009, 03:38 PM
I am contemplating the construction of a Rube Goldberg headrest device that clamps to the tub behind the seat. Will post pictures after I figure it out and make it.