PDA

View Full Version : Paint finish.

greenmeanie
09-23-2009, 11:38 AM
Here's a fun poll.

I'm gettign my panels painted for my 109 i nMArine blue. It is getting done in single stage. The panels are not show quality so while generally smooth still have quite a lot of small dents etc. I have the option of gloss or satin finish. Which would you go for? I don't give much of a damn about originality.

The body shop is recommending satin as they think it will hide more marks.

Andrew IIA
09-23-2009, 11:59 AM
Satin :thumb-up:

A Series Rover is best if its not shiny.

Regards,
Andrew
'63 SIIA 88" SW - 'No-Shine' Marine Blue

scott
09-23-2009, 12:00 PM
i'm repainting my whole truck (in sections). so far i've done the breakfast, bulkhead and floor boards and have gone with a dupont "limestone" flat finish. my thinking is bush scathes will show up less without the glossy finish and my truck will see some brush

JackIIA
09-24-2009, 10:41 PM
I vote satin too.

Gloss in a marine blue would look awesome in my opinion, if not for the dings that will jump out. But then again, it's your truck. :rolleyes: If I ever get to that point, I'm definitely going with a non-stock color and have been collecting shots off of the web of about every color I can find. The gloss ones (in dark colors) really pop the imperfections. More than I thought they would anyhow.

sailtech
09-24-2009, 10:59 PM
I just finished repairs to my bulkhead and breakfast. The corrosion-resistant epoxy is curing and then I'll be priming and painting. I bought the paint a few months ago. I didn't really think about it, I just went with the original color, Marine Blue, and the original finish, glossy.

It's your Rover, do what makes you happy.

Bertha
09-25-2009, 06:51 AM
My suggestion:
Paint it with the glossy and fine steel wool it to the dullness you want. If someday your taste changes, you will be able to buff it back to glossy, but if you paint it flat you will not have that option down the road. Unless it is really badly dented, it shouldn't look too bad glossy, being that there are plenty of spot weld divets all over anyway.

LRMAN
09-25-2009, 07:04 AM
My suggestion:
Paint it with the glossy and fine steel wool it to the dullness you want. If someday your taste changes, you will be able to buff it back to glossy, but if you paint it flat you will not have that option down the road. Unless it is really badly dented, it shouldn't look too bad glossy, being that there are plenty of spot weld divets all over anyway.

Good tip except I would use bronze wool or even a very fine scotchbrite to prevent any steel dust from rusting and staining.

kevkon
09-25-2009, 07:17 AM
There are plenty of finishing compounds that will cut the sheen down. Basically you are not going to the final buffing step. I use a product which is like a jelly called Satin Rub.

Bertha
09-25-2009, 02:29 PM
Good tip except I would use bronze wool or even a very fine scotchbrite to prevent any steel dust from rusting and staining.

Don't worry, steel dust wont stick to the paint and rust .:rolleyes:
However fine scotchbrite or even agreesive rubbing compound will also work.

TeriAnn
09-26-2009, 07:10 AM
The factory used gloss paint. They look quite striking with fresh paint on straight panels. I had my truck repainted 12 years ago and am starting to give thoughts to repainting her again along with new elephant hide upholstery. Just to give her that shiny new look again.

If you want pin striping, instead of an abrasive pad may I suggest doing it the old fashion way, drive it on overgrown trails. In my book scotchbrighting in scratches ranks right up there with spinning brodies in a muddy corner lot to get that "been off roading" look.

Just one woman's opinion,

Eric W S
09-29-2009, 12:27 PM
The factory used gloss paint. They look quite striking with fresh paint on straight panels. I had my truck repainted 12 years ago and am starting to give thoughts to repainting her again along with new elephant hide upholstery. Just to give her that shiny new look again.

If you want pin striping, instead of an abrasive pad may I suggest doing it the old fashion way, drive it on overgrown trails. In my book scotchbrighting in scratches ranks right up there with spinning brodies in a muddy corner lot to get that "been off roading" look.

x2. Except I'll toss in the opposite ***'s view. Fresh paint looks awesome. Let your adventures and mother nature do the rest...

JackIIA
09-29-2009, 01:09 PM

Really, gloss? That's encouraging. Here I thought me wanting to paint things shiny was one more indication of my wayward tendencies.

I've also been known to paint brick, (which my father assures me reserves a special place in hell).

I Leak Oil
09-29-2009, 01:18 PM
x2. Except I'll toss in the opposite ***'s view. Fresh paint looks awesome. Let your adventures and mother nature do the rest...
X3. Single stage gloss will start to oxidize soon enough. If you go with the satin you may as well paint it yourself with a rattle can IMO.

amcordo
09-29-2009, 06:21 PM
I've been holding this in for a while, but I finally need to come clean with all of you. My conscience demands it.

I got a gallon of Rustoleum Pro, mixed in some thinner and sprayed it on with a gravity HVLP gun.

God have mercy on my soul.

But seriously, if I had known what I was doing, spent more time mixing the thinner and paint, and sprayed on a couple more layers it would have ended up REALLY nice. Instead, it's got some thin areas. The only real nice part is the basic reason as to why I did it: when I scratch the crap out of it I can just pull out a rattle can for touchups!

badvibes
09-29-2009, 06:29 PM
amcordo-

Looks pretty sweet to my eyes. Guess I'd better beg forgiveness also, I'm doing rattle can flat khaki 1 panel at a time.

Jeff

jac04
09-29-2009, 08:56 PM
I just finished painting my Air Portable with flat desert tan synthetic enamel, and it looks great. The best thing about a flat paint job is that you can (and should) do it yourself. The flat paint makes everything look good, since it hides the flaws. I spent $100 on the HVLP paint gun and the paint is about $100 as well (2 gallons). It took me just over 1 gallon (thinned 4:1 with Xylene) to paint the vehicle + 5 wheels.

This hood is completely covered with dents, dings, and scratches, but it looks great in flat paint:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_1662.jpg

I'm amazed at how well the paint turned out:
http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j126/jac04/000_1673.jpg

Blueboy
09-30-2009, 06:17 PM
Single stage gloss will start to oxidize soon enough.

yep-the large, flat panels one can somewhat keep up with, yet, the smaller surfaces like the vertical area between the wind flaps for me have really faded.

still, a non-clear coated paint has a great look.

Jaime

greenmeanie
10-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Well satin it is. I've decided I don't like the glare I get off the shiny panels on my 88 in the AZ desert sun and I'm not into the black anti glare panel look. Ultimately I can add a clear coat for gloss if I really get the urge.

Unfortunately I had to get a paint shop to do this job as I live with an HOA and, while I get away with ****** regarding welding and fabrication etc., the reek off an etch prime on up paint job will push them too far. For many, many reasons I really need to move somewhere civilised.

thixon
10-01-2009, 02:48 PM
Gregor,

Keep in mind the single stage right out of the gun is not gonna look really really glossy anyway. If they don't do any color sanding, and buffing, even better. Instead of steel wool or a scotch bright pad, you can dull it up with a buffer and compound if you hate how it looks. It'd take an afternoon to do if you really hated going the gloss route.

I was concerned about the same thing. I bought a single stage urethane. On the panels I've painted already, its not so glossy that I feel like I'm at a muscle car show.

Also, you could just never wash it!:D