PDA

View Full Version : The Blinkin' Handbrake Shoes!

SafeAirOne
09-24-2009, 01:44 AM
If anyone knows an easy way to reinstall the handbrake shoes, I'd sure like to hear it!

I spent 45 minutes reinstalling them (again) tonight. Absolutely insane trying to keep the flippin' return springs on while moving the shoes to the other side of the drive flange.

It's done now, but I was seriously weighing wheter a handbrake is REALLY required...

I Leak Oil
09-24-2009, 04:54 AM
I usually don't bother removing the drum from the flange and just remove the whole flange assy. A cotter pin and the nut and you're there. Makes it easy to replace the oil seal while you're there and get the shoes back on without the flange to interfere.

SafeAirOne
09-24-2009, 05:50 AM
I usually don't bother removing the drum from the flange and just remove the whole flange assy. A cotter pin and the nut and you're there. Makes it easy to replace the oil seal while you're there and get the shoes back on without the flange to interfere.

It's funny you mention that---About 10 minutes into the job I noticed that I probably could have pulled the backing plate off with the shoes still attached/in-place.

I wish I would have noticed that last week when I did the job (poorly) the first time.

On that note, for anyone replacing the rear output shaft oil seal on a 109SW: There's not enough room to swing a hammer sufficiently to drive the oil seal in! You will likely mess it up using other, unconventional methods! Just take the speedo housing off and do it properly on the workbench.

graniterover
09-24-2009, 08:20 AM
On that note, for anyone replacing the rear output shaft oil seal on a 109SW: There's not enough room to swing a hammer sufficiently to drive the oil seal in! You will likely mess it up using other, unconventional methods! Just take the speedo housing off and do it properly on the workbench.

I think I told you that. ;-)

Is it all fixed?

SafeAirOne
09-24-2009, 09:10 AM
I think I told you that. ;-)

Is it all fixed?

Yes...yes you did. I porbably wouldn't have gone that route if you didn't suggest it--Thanks!

It is fixed now :thumb-up:. Unfortunately it turns out that the new seal wasn't leaking after all; By an amazingly lousy coincidence, one of the nuts/studs holding the large bottom cover on the transfer case had worked loose JUST AFTER I replaced the output seal last week. I didn't botch the first oil seal installation after all, but I presumed that the sudden river of 90wt was due to a warped seal that I had JUST put in.

End result is that for the next 6 months, I'll have a leak-free transfer case.:)

Jim-ME
09-24-2009, 09:19 AM
Mark,
You are dreaming.
Jim

SafeAirOne
09-24-2009, 11:11 AM
Mark,
You are dreaming.
Jim

Would you believe 6 weeks? Who am I kidding?...I'll be happy if the transfer case doesn't leak for the next 6 days!

badvibes
09-24-2009, 11:17 AM
Would you believe 6 weeks? Who am I kidding?...I'll be happy if the transfer case doesn't leak for the next 6 days!

I just re-installed an E-brake on my truck that the PO had removed. I did the rear seal while in there. I hope you guys are low balling the time estimates here. :eek: