PDA

View Full Version : front output seal replacement

bmohan55
09-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Got off work early this afternoon so I thought I'd pull the leaking old seal off the front of the transfer case in preperation of recieving my new one tomorrow. I assume the split pin, nut and washer that holds the drive flange need to come off, right (per green bible)? If so, how do I get the pin out of there...I've been fooling with it for too long so I must be doing something wrong again.

Nium
09-24-2009, 02:47 PM
Use a drift of equal to slightly smaller diameter and hammer. I'm guessing you've been trying that with no luck, yes?

Wait, you meant the cotter pin didn't you? In that case pinch the two ends back together or break them off then use a pair of needle nose at the other end to lever and pry the pin out. If you can't get the purchase you need with the needle nose pliers try sticking one of the points of the needle nose into the eye of the cotter pin and pry that way. Vise grips as last resort. Either way you are gonna have to pinch the legs back together or break them off or it will be a pain in the foot to get out.

bmohan55
09-24-2009, 02:55 PM
well, here's my newbe ignorance...whats a drift (I got the hammer part!) googled it, got it, something like a nail set?

bmohan55
09-24-2009, 03:01 PM
I've been using needle nose, just not successful so I thought I was going about it wrong. I'll just keep at it.

Nium
09-24-2009, 03:07 PM
Honestly I've use nails as drifts and lots of things. What I really meant when I said drift I guess would technically be called a pin punch like these...

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00943160000P?keyword=punch+set

but if you really meant the cotter pin (looks kinda like an over sized sewing needle split down the length) as what you are trying to remove and not a rolled split pin why can't you use a set of needle nose pliers at the eye end of the cotter pin to lever it out?

bmohan55
09-24-2009, 03:20 PM
yes it's the cotter pin, the head of it is flush into the spits along the nut and I can't get any grip on it. I got it well lubed and I've been trying to push it thru with pliers from the legs of the pin in order to get the head exposed enough to grip it. One thing i've found is that when I'm having alot of trouble doing something it usually mean I'm doing it wrong, please tell me of an easier way!

Nium
09-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Well the first thing you did wrong was buy a Series Rover :D just kidding.

When you bent the legs back together the one leg probably didn't bend back straight and now has bulged a little right before the hole preventing you from driving it thru. Grab it with the pliers and bend it back an forth till you break it off. After you break off the one leg try and pinch the nub left from breaking off the leg back close to the other leg, if there is a nub, to make the pin as straight as possible. Tap the unbroken leg with hammer to drive head of pin up enough to get hold of with pliers. You should replace cotter pin with new one anyway.

Nium
09-24-2009, 04:06 PM
Last thought. If the nut is hard up against the pin turn nut a little till pin is centered in the teeth of the crown on the nut. Pin really should just slid right out without much if any force but if the nut is wedged against it then that could make removal frustrating.

bmohan55
09-24-2009, 04:09 PM
thanks, right now I'm back to finishing the bathroom as wife came home with new faucets....so I'll try your suggestions tomorrow at lunch. Besides I was getting too frustrated and it's too early for beer!

Nium
09-24-2009, 04:19 PM
Happy wife happy life

SafeAirOne
09-24-2009, 06:19 PM
Don't use needle-nosed pliers--they'll just keep slipping off and pinching your hands. I'd recommend using dikes (those pliers strictly for wire cutting). Don't squeeze enough to cut the pin apart, but squeese enough to get a good bite then lever the pin out by prying it against the nut.

Jim-ME
09-24-2009, 07:46 PM
When I did mine I drilled the heads off the rivets and using a flexible fairly strong magnet, hammer and a drift I carefully drove the shaft of the rivet into the engine and caught them with the magnet. I did take two people and we did have to go on a fishing expedition for one rivet shaft. I also helped to be able to borrow a right angled drill. Make sure you put something on the screws to seal them or they leak.
Jim

bmohan55
09-25-2009, 01:27 PM
got it off today during lunch, Used a finishing nail and hammer to pry the head of the pin out enough to get a grip. Thanks forthe help...if the front was the easy one I'm really really hoping that the back seal hold together awhile longer.